Outboards -

PW!

at the boat show i was trying to get my head around a heap of stuff, being a boat virgin. Outboards were suprisingly on my list of this to understand!!

BUT i failed - so can someone pls explain the advantages of a 3 cylinder 2 stroke compared to a 2 cylinder (the price diff was roughly a grand)

And what do you do if you have a tiller steer and the outboard has electric trim? i know how to use it on a console boat? What are the advantages / disadvantages?

All this shit is sooo confusing - i think i''ll stick to the land!!!!

Guest Jocool

In regards to the 3 cylinder versus 2.....a 3 cylinder will make the same power as a 2 cylinder in the given power range, but it will do it quicker. The motor will have more torque. Torque is important when lifting the boat onto the plane. Especially if you have a big lump of a driver like myself! :ohyeh:

My boat is tiller steered and it also has the trim n tilt feature. It makes it handy to trim the boat when underway to get the best out of the hull. It works exactly the same way on a tiller as it does on a console boat!

^^^^ What he said.

It would also be reasopnable to expect that a 3cyl would last longer.........hopefully by about 33%.

However there are also more bits that can go wrong on a 3 cyl and also some poarts are not affected by the number of revs a motor does and will hence wear out in the same ammount of time.

Personally if I had the money then I would spend the extra grand cos it would be worth it in the long term.