Quick Flick.

wrasseman

Hi all,

I headed out for a quick sesh on the north esk this arvo, only managed a bit over 30min fishing but had to try out some new lures I bought on ebay that arrived today. Little micro spoons for small streams.

phoebe_114.jpg

I have also recently spooled up with 2lb crystal fireline which I was keen to test.

Well I love the little lures, scoring 3 hookups, one small, one medium and one large, unfortunately only landed the medium one, pulling the hooks on the other two but still happy. Love the new line too.

Cheers

Col.

Nice stream trouty.

post-1831-1156847164_thumb.jpg

Wrasseman - if you keep having trouble with the hooks pulling I recommend you try switching to a single hook instead of trebles, like the lure on the left of your photo.

I've found v. small trebles to be particularly hopeless at holding a fish's mouth.

But still a great 30 minute session for you - three hookups on freshwater is a pretty good result I'd say!

Another good fishing at tassie mate. Well done.

How do u work the spoons btw? I've heard about the crystal firelines and is curious how well they are as i'm on the verge of changing my pounded main.

Cheers

ron

Hi Ron,

My normal spoon retrieve is as slow as possible whilst keeping a good action and at the same time giving the rod periodic slow twitches to speed and slow or stop the lure intermittantly. I've also found that following fish can most easily be made to hit by briefly speeding the retrieve then stopping dead. The fish accelerates with the "escaping" lure and then crashes into it when it stops.

As far as the crystal fireline goes, it looks the goods though its a bit early for a real opinion from me. Its very fine though so casts very well and handles nicely too. It isn't really clear though so you still need a leader (probably need one to add a bit of stretch into the system anyway) and I don't think the real advantage is in the colour but rather the new thinner breaking strains. I did have a snag where I snapped my leader off at the knot with very little pressure, but the leader (4lb fluro) broke, not the fireline, I think it may have cut through the leader so a bit of extra care with knots may be required, certainly the next knot held up enough to land a fish and pull some hooks. The 1lb stuff looks awesome for many light applications and I'll be using that a bit in the future but for small streams I'll stick with 2lb as this is a very harsh environment for line, dragging over rocks etc.

Wrasseman - if you keep having trouble with the hooks pulling I recommend you try switching to a single hook instead of trebles, like the lure on the left of your photo.

I've found v. small trebles to be particularly hopeless at holding a fish's mouth.

But still a great 30 minute session for you - three hookups on freshwater is a pretty good result I'd say!

Hi Mondo.

I tend to agree about the singles, I've been using gamakatsu "single lure hooks" on my lures for some time now and these great singles certainly don't suffer in the holding department, a slightly lower hookup rate (compared to trebles) is more than compensated by less casts wasted with weedups and snags and more repeat strikes. Despite this I like to use new lures "as is" at first before modifying them as hook changes can alter lure action. With the dismal holding performance of the trebles I'm going to have a play with #6 in this hook on these new spoons (as in pic) as it is the smallest I can get but it might be a bit big so I could have to find something else, have to wait and see.

We certainly have some good trout water down here, that stream is only a few minutes from home (for a picture look at a Boags premium lager label) and where I was fishing is right in the suburbs of launceston. The more out of the way places and the central highlands are the real prime locations.

Cheers

col.