Estuary Outfit

FletcherG1991

i have about $300 (i have a spare if need be $30 - $40 ) and i was thinking of buying a rod and reel to use for bream, flathead, whiting, tailor, salmon etc. i have been leaning towards shimano but cant seem to find a reel that has more than 3 BB if anyone has any suggestions on any rod or reel that come into my price range (braid still needs to come out of this budget) please let me know..... i also dont mind if it is shimano or not just a good brand that i can use for lure and bait fishing

Edited by swordfisherman

gday mate, have a look at Shimano Symetre. Im having a look at getting that for a spin outfit, I believe it a suitable reel for your setup.

have a look at this thread: CLICK HERE for raider's comments on the particular reel.

Also have a look at the shimano website for more information.

Cheers

Kantong

mate i only buy wilson live fibre rods,so in your case maybe a 2-4kg rod with a shimano 4500 BR that might be a little over your budget but depends where your from i can get those rods and reels at a real good price

you can always pm me

pabs

thanks guys..... i noticed the Symetre only has 4+1 barings does this matter cause i also have a pflueger reel that has 8 bearings is this a problem ? cause i do quite like the looks of the Symetre but this is what i am abit uncertain about..... and what is a shimano 4500 BR ? couldn't find that ? are there any other "tech specs that i should look for an a reel like that eg infinante anti reverse etc ?

Mate, just because a reel has a lot of bearings doesn't make it high quality. And vice versa. Look at the cheap $20 reels on eBay - they all seem to have 10 or more bearings, yet you wouldn't call them quality reels by any stretch. In fact, bearings are generally the earliest things to fail (which is why manufacturers put so much emphasis on ARBs or CRBBs) and more bearings equal more points for failure.

My suggestion: pick up a Symetre (or Stradic) and have a play with it in the shop. Decide on whether it feels good to you and whether it suits your needs, not on how many bearings it has.

Hope this helps.

PS: A 4500BR is the Shimano 4500 Baitrunner.

Edited by David L