New Spinning Reel?

kantong

Gday raiders

in the market to buy a new spinning reel.

To match a Berkely drop shot 7 foot rod.

I had a look and I'm undecided about if I should get:

1. Penn Applause 2000 series

2. Shimano Sienna 2500

3. Mitchell 2000 (can't remember the model)

the Mitchell is under 100 with extra spool, but doesnt come with the 10 yr warranty of the Shimano.

Penn has the nice thick bail arm, but its a little more expensive.

Well Shimano, can't really go wrong with it. I would love to buy all three, but the :wife: will not be impressed.

Planning to fish with 8lb Fireline.

Any feedback would be appreacited.

Cheers,

Kantong

Hi Kantong

I have the shimano sienna 2500 on my 7 foot pflueger rod, it also has 8lb fireline which you mentioned you wanted to get. As for perfromance i cant really comment since ive brought the outfit ive used it only for plastics and hardbodies, and being the novice that i am i havent caught anything with it (used it 5 times) :05: so i dont know how it performs under load. However its cast line out pretty well and feels pretty smooth. One problem i do have though is that i find after i cast i have to manually click the bail arm back over, as opposed to it clicking back over itself when i turn the handle, not sure if thats a fault with my reel or if it wasnt designed to do that in the 1st place. Dont know your $$$ situation but in hindsight i probably would have gone for a symetre.

Cheers

Edited by gio

Hi Kantong

I have the shimano sienna 2500 on my 7 foot pflueger rod, it also has 8lb fireline which you mentioned you wanted to get. As for perfromance i cant really comment since ive brought the outfit ive used it only for plastics and hardbodies, and being the novice that i am i havent caught anything with it :05: so i dont know how it performs under load. However its cast line out pretty well and feels pretty smooth. One problem i do have though is that i find after i cast i have to manually click the bail arm back over, as opposed to it clicking back over itself when i turn the handle, not sure if thats a fault with my reel or if it wasnt designed to do that in the 1st place. Dont know your $$$ situation but in hindsight i probably would have gone for a symetre.

Cheers

My Sienna 4000FB seems to have the same problem, although sometimes when you give it a little bit more of a push it will click back into place. Have had it for 8 months now, besides from the odd scratches it is still in very good shape and still very smooth :thumbup:

Hi Kantong

I have the shimano sienna 2500 on my 7 foot pflueger rod, it also has 8lb fireline which you mentioned you wanted to get. As for perfromance i cant really comment since ive brought the outfit ive used it only for plastics and hardbodies, and being the novice that i am i havent caught anything with it (used it 5 times) :05: so i dont know how it performs under load. However its cast line out pretty well and feels pretty smooth. One problem i do have though is that i find after i cast i have to manually click the bail arm back over, as opposed to it clicking back over itself when i turn the handle, not sure if thats a fault with my reel or if it wasnt designed to do that in the 1st place. Dont know your $$$ situation but in hindsight i probably would have gone for a symetre.

Cheers

gday gio

thanks for the feedback. How much would I be looking at for the symetre? I looked at the next up from the Sienna, which I believe is the Sedona, but couldn't really see much difference for the price increase.

Cheers

Kantong

3 of my mates have Berkley Dropshots with Mitchell reel combos, they have had them for about 8 months and the reels are holding up well. All are spooled with 6lb fireline and get a good workout. The only thing i dont like is the handle, its a bit fat and unco to me.

Kantong, if you get a chance speak to the guys

(Young, Michael or Anthony) at the Complete Angler

at Villawood, they have allways steered me in the

right direction without any sort of sales pitch pressure.

The sale starts tomorrow, lots of good gear, i picked

up a pair of Full length Shimano waders for $29

and surface poppers for a $1

Good luck on your reel selection.

Gaff