More Leatherjacket Than You Could Poke A Stick At!

madasacutsnake

Well.... Finally a report. :1prop:

Went out from Gerringong early this morning. Geez, could you get a better day????? perfect conditions!

Didn't do to well with the flatties but got enough for a feed with the biggest being about 55cms. Didn't get too much on the reef but got 3 good sized moari wrasse and chucked a few back. Went down further to gerroa and got onto the leatherjacket just off the beach. Had plenty of fun with them and got as many as we needed. Fathers day bbq at my place tomorrow and there will be no shortage of fish on the barbie! There was no pressure for the feed today as I caught a good sized shark on Thursday. Pics Below.

Any tips on cooking the shark appreciated, I think I have about 5kg of flesh ready to go.

post-1967-1157190518_thumb.jpg

post-1967-1157190717_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stallo

It was 50cm on the dot! biggest I have ever seen, that's for sure.

That is big.

It is a shame that you don't have a photo of it with a ruler as that would be a new fishraider record.

Regards

Paul.

Top catch Stallo.Well done :thumbup:

Pleanty of tasty jackets there.

I catch quite afew sharks from the beach.

They're great eating.I love them just fried

in alittle flour or in breadcrumbs.

Have never tried them on the BBQ.

:1yikes::1yikes: Damn thats alot of fish!!

could u tell me where abouts Gerringong is?

i have caught plenty of shoval nose sharks before and never kept them, some people say they are good how do you cook yours and what does it taste like?

What kind of rig do you use? long shank im guessing?

:1yikes::1yikes: Damn thats alot of fish!!

could u tell me where abouts Gerringong is?

i have caught plenty of shoval nose sharks before and never kept them, some people say they are good how do you cook yours and what does it taste like?

What kind of rig do you use? long shank im guessing?

I've never tried shovel nose either. We caught a couple yesterday so I thought I may as well give it a go.

As for the rig, Large running ball sinker down to a wire trace and 3/0 baitholder hook. The set up is not that important, you just have to set the hook quick so they don't get a chance to swallow it, other wise they wreck the wire trace. We were getting one hooked up then bringing it up to about 6ft of water and there would usually be 4 or 5 following. Then it was easy going because you could watch them take the bait. Heaps of multiple hook ups!

Gerringong is 2 hrs south of Sydney

:beersmile: Stallo

That is big.

It is a shame that you don't have a photo of it with a ruler as that would be a new fishraider record.

Regards

Paul.

yeah, just noticed the current record. There would have been quite a few over 40cm. I'll just have to go back out again :1prop:

Stallo

hey mate awesome catch there :thumbup::yahoo::thumbup:

what bait did u get the leatheries on?

i bottom bashed just off botant on sat and got a few but they kept biting through the 40lb leader.

i think i must use wire trace next time...

great catch again

cheers steve

I've never tried shovel nose either. We caught a couple yesterday so I thought I may as well give it a go.

As for the rig, Large running ball sinker down to a wire trace and 3/0 baitholder hook. The set up is not that important, you just have to set the hook quick so they don't get a chance to swallow it, other wise they wreck the wire trace. We were getting one hooked up then bringing it up to about 6ft of water and there would usually be 4 or 5 following. Then it was easy going because you could watch them take the bait. Heaps of multiple hook ups!

Gerringong is 2 hrs south of Sydney

:beersmile: Stallo

yeah, just noticed the current record. There would have been quite a few over 40cm. I'll just have to go back out again :1prop:

Stallo

I reckon its only 1 3/4 hrs from Penrith!!!!

Its great fishing down there, i go down there often. Never miss out

hey mate awesome catch there :thumbup::yahoo::thumbup:

what bait did u get the leatheries on?

i bottom bashed just off botant on sat and got a few but they kept biting through the 40lb leader.

i think i must use wire trace next time...

great catch again

cheers steve

Hi Steve,

We were just knocking fillets off any undesirable fish we hauled in. I'll think I'll get hold of some squid for next time but they just wreck anything you use anyway. As for the trace, I was using a 50lb but they just bite em off, they were nearly getting thru the 40lb wire if you weren't quick enough getting them in!

Had the barbie chock a block full of em last night and the family over for fathers day. A little bit of lemon and some cracked pepper, Bloody beautiful :biggrin2: even gave the old man a couple of feeds to take home with him.

Stallo