Fly Fishing Left Handed

Farma

Hi Fly Fishers.

I am learning to Fly Cast and am wondering if it is just as easy to learn to do Lefthanded.

I have probs with my right sholder and after 30 or so chucks it gets to sore to continue.

Is it to hard to learn lefthanded?

Thanks

Farma

Farma,

it should not be any harder for you to fish left handed, a very good flyfishing friend of mine only casts left handed but is a right hander.

You may have trouble getting someone to show you how to cast left handed but basically its just the same movement and you have the advantage of not having to swap hands to wind.

Big Pete :1fishing1:

Farma,

Which weight fly rod are you using? i find a small 3wt does not require much shoulder action at all. However an 8 wt is a lot harder on the shoulder. I cast for three hours into a heavy wind using my 7wt and ended up with a quite sore shoulder. Maybe it is your technique that is causeing the soreness. I would suggest look at these things first before changing hands. I myself are left handed, but cast with my right hand. I have tried left handed but did not have any luck.

cheers

BM

Farma,

if I may offer some advice look after your shoulder, I had to have mine operated on and I have been out of action for just on a year. Do as the Doctors advise if need be go and see a Physio. Trust me the operation is no fun and the post surgery thing is the pits.

And you can not make Pain your friend :bump0ee:

Big-Pete :1fishing1:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Farma,

Some good advice given here. Timing and good casting technique will put the fly where you want it to be -- not gut-busting effort, which is the likely cause of your injury.

But there's another aspect, not touched on, that's relevant to most flyrodding.

It's far more efficient to hold the fly rod in your strongest hand and wind with the other (as is also the case with a smaller spinning reel) although few people do.

For example, I'm a right hander but I wind all my fly reels (and also my lighter spinning reels) with my left hand. For left handers, it's the reverse, hold rod with left hand and wind with your right.

The advantages? As well as fighting a fish holding the rod in your strongest hand, it's also not necessary to swap a single-handed rod from hand-to-hand after making a cast. Think about it.

Winding with your weakest hand feels a bit strange at first, but you soon get used to it. And then it's so easy and natural, you won't consider going back to doing it the other way.

Regards,

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Farma,

Some good advice given here. Timing and good casting technique will put the fly where you want it to be -- not gut-busting effort, which is the likely cause of your injury.

But there's another aspect, not touched on, that's relevant to most flyrodding.

It's far more efficient to hold the fly rod in your strongest hand and wind with the other (as is also the case with a smaller spinning reel) although few people do.

For example, I'm a right hander but I wind all my fly reels (and also my lighter spinning reels) with my left hand. For left handers, it's the reverse, hold rod with left hand and wind with your right.

The advantages? As well as fighting a fish holding the rod in your strongest hand, it's also not necessary to swap a single-handed rod from hand-to-hand after making a cast. Think about it.

Winding with your weakest hand feels a bit strange at first, but you soon get used to it. And then it's so easy and natural, you won't consider going back to doing it the other way.

Regards,

Bob

Good point Bob, I do a fair bit of fly fishing when I get the chance. Was told by the local guru when I was starting that it's best to wind left handed if your a right handed person, so that's what I did. Feels funny at first, but once you're used to it you'll never change back.

As for the cortisone mate, it's only a short term fix. Best to take it easy on the shoulder.

A.

• 5 weeks later...

hi Farma:

Have you considered a Switch rod? They make rods made to cast with either single hand or with two hands and they are not quite long as spey rods and tend to be about 10' in length, it may help to take burden off your right shoulder when cast with both hands.

Ted