H.c Bay.

Jewhunter

Well the barometer was rising with a nice tide just before dark & I was home by 4.30pm. What to do? Grab the rod & hit the bay for a quick shore based session of course! :biggrin2:

I chose an old spot that I haven't fished for a while as the wind has swung around coming onshore in the arvos a bit more now, making the spots up the back of the bay a bit uncomfortable. I also got a 5kg Jew from this spot this time last year so I've been waiting!

It was quite windy but luckily behind me to help casting. There was quite a bit of surface activity & this just increased as dark approached. Swirls & boils with the occasional massive explosion were the norm & they were from a variety of fish. Bream, Tailor, Mullet & the odd Jew were feeding. It was sooo fishy. :thumbup:

I cast at a swirl & dropped a fish, so I kept the placcy high in the water twitching it all the way & as I was almost finished the retrieve a nice 40cm Flattie zoomed up & inhaled my offering. Great visual fishing. A quick pic & it was on its way.

Another boil & another cast. This time it gets picked up on the drop. I strike & pull into nothing. Another swirl to the right near shore & my cast lands right on it. Hit on the drop again & this time a chunky 32cm Bream poses for a pic. It kept going until dark with another 3 Bream between 33 & 36cms landed & plenty of hits & misses. :yahoo:

Now for the obligitory " one that got away" story. I cast at a big boil & was again hit on the drop. I gave it a bit of line & smacked it & came up tight on a very good fish. It stripped 30mtrs of line straight up, stopped & shook it's head & then did a big arc to the left. Another good run & it stops & shakes it's head & the hook falls out! :ranting2: Certainly a Jew & a good one to. Ah well, there's always tommorow! :tease:

A top little 1.5 hrs fishing all the same. The quality of the fish was outstanding & the amount of bait & fish feeding on them was great to see.

Cheers,

Grant.

Your a lucky bugger living so close to H.C when the fish are on like that Grant - good one ya for getting in amongst it.

Shame about the Jewey but they are definately around, it's just a matter of staying connected on light gear.

Well done, look forward to future reports with a nice jew in the pics. :biggrin2:

Cheers

David.

Top stuff Grant! It must be a good feeling to have that sort of quality fishing "in your backyard", so to speak. Bad luck about the biggun, but there's always next time. Some lovely fish there mate. :thumbup:

I can't wait for daylight savings to kick off. :biggrin2:

Shane

Nice work Grant (bastard) :yahoo:

All I got for my troubles was wind blown face and a couple of flatties

Cheers Stewy

:Funny-Post: As if your face isn't wind blown enough! :074: You're a sucker for punishment mate!

Cheers,

Grant.

Motty & Shane it's great to live so close to such a good fishery. I was always told as a young bloke to work out your own 'backyard' before you travel further afield.

It looks as though I'll be moving in a few months & that move will truly mean fishing in my own backyard! :thumbup::thumbup: .

Cheers,

Grant.

I'll be moving in a few months & that move will truly mean fishing in my own backyard!

Nice! Great report, Grant! :yahoo::thumbup: Shame about the jewie, but there's always next time - hey, maybe you could catch it from your backyard after you move? :thumbup: I really enjoy catching solid flatties on the flats - very visual and stealthy - also helps when it's in your backyard so that you can have a go when the best time/tide/conditions are apparent.

Flattieman.

Sounds like it was a great session - I don't recall ever fishing amongst boils and splashes like the ones described by JH - must be a thrill!

I'm going to have to get to H&C at some stage soon.

I definitely concur with Grant about the boils there :icon_peace: , nothing I've ever seen compared to IC.

ron