Blackfish Recipe

OWZAT

g`day Fellas ,

Lil fella just arrived with 4 huge blackies all @ 40cms , so I need to hear your recipes for Cooking them .

I can`t remember when I last cooked blackies , and I cant find the old cook book I normaly refer to for exotics.

So fellas lets hear them.

mick

They Have been left soaking in a ice cream container with 1/2 teaspoon of salt , which draws the blood out , but I`m damned if Ican remember how I prepared them .

Mick

G'day Mick,

Here's one from Victoria (hence the luderick title)

Sounds yummy.

Pete.

Baked Luderick

Chef: Peter Coulton

Degree of difficulty: Low

Cooking time: 45 minutes

You need:

1 kilo Luderick

1 medium onion

½ cup claret

1 rasher bacon

chopped garlic

1 red chilli

½ teaspoon cinnamon

½ teaspoon paprika

½ teaspoon ginger

Method:

1 Luderick around 1 kilo. Clean the fish, make sure you remove the black from the inside of the fish. After cleaning rub the inside and outside of the fish with salt and pepper, and stuff with the onion, garlic, paprika, cinnamon and chopped bacon. Lay the red chilli, thinly sliced, over the fish, and sprinkle with nutmeg and cinnamon and dot with butter.

Place fish in a well-greased tray, pour over the claret and bake in a moderate oven, basting often for ¾ hour.

Guest danielinbyron

g`day Fellas ,

Lil fella just arrived with 4 huge blackies all @ 40cms , so I need to hear your recipes for Cooking them .

I can`t remember when I last cooked blackies , and I cant find the old cook book I normaly refer to for exotics.

So fellas lets hear them.

mick

They Have been left soaking in a ice cream container with 1/2 teaspoon of salt , which draws the blood out , but I`m damned if Ican remember how I prepared them .

Mick

mate i thought black fish were neighbour fish until i fished with a chef...... who taught me how to prep them.. 1. he kept them in a pool or keeper bag until he was finishing... 2. he slit there throats with sharp blade 10 or fifteen mins before finishing fishing 3. taking them having bled out from the pool and gutted and deheaded them.4. removed there spikes from top and bottom with serated edge knife .cheap coles 3dollar hacksaw type ones are my faves.at the top of the fish cut the skin all the way to join the cut that took its head off...5 multigrips or pliers to peel skin bak from head to tail...it will peel right off to the tail...

wash in clean salt water paying particular care to gut cavity to remove any excess innards and that black stuff..

fillet immediately when home.. all the weedy iodine taste assosciated with black fish will not be present if you clean them thoroughly as described above... we would bag out on these some afternoons and have quite a conveyer belt cleaning them ..

some of the older fellas would bypass this by simply filleting them and deskinning them with the good knife and board right there and thenon the rocks after bleeding them in there keeper bags...

eat crumbed or battered...its a delicate light fish as good as any and really good for you..but can have a little bit of blood from under the skin that doesn't look great to just cook in butter...

this may not help in your case today but i'm sure there'll be more where they came from...the basic theory is bleed clean and skin and remove fillet from gut quickly after death..

G`day Fellas ,

Pete , Any substitute for the claret ?.

They only sell those wine casks here 2/3 litres I think they are , and as I don`t really drink much anymore it will only go to waste .

How about some fish stock , whatcha reckon ?? .

The rest sounds Ideal.

Dannie ,

I`m going to halve the fish, and just crumb one lot and try them with beer batter , and then tomorrow I`ll see what Pete says about the Fish stock and if Its OK , I will try his recipe .

Oh and by the way , the fish were bled almost exactly as you described , and had been skinned already .

I might just except that offer to go Blackfishing with those guys soon , It`s been too long , and its really good fun .

Thanks Guys!.

Mick

Edited by OWZAT