Sounder Suggestions

wirlez

Hey raiders!

Just wanna start by clearing up a few things ... I do most of my fishing in Vanuatu, as my parents live over there and Iam here for school/uni. I will be headed back over there when I finish my studies :1prop: . But! Iam taking this year off and have spent the past 7 months fishing from out of a 10ft Zodiac ... the much awaited upgrade into a bigger boat should be coming (once I fly back in 2 weeks time). This means something worthy of installing a sounder into :D. The vessel will be a 4.2 Meter Stabicraft & 30hp Yamaha 2st, its meant to be a dinghy but got altered by the factory to have a deck and console, at the request of the original owner.

Up until last month I wasn't totally clear of how deep the water I fished was, till I got invited on a fishing trip with a mate of a mate, Gary. Gary's boat had a commercial grade Furuno sounder, and it was showing the depths of the places I used to fish as going down to 400meters and other places 600-800m. Although we don't drop a line till we know the anchor hits bottom, the anchor rope is around 125-150meters, so its safe to say thats the avg depth I fish out of. Bare in mind this is only 3-4kilometers offshore (so I felt pretty safe in my rubber ducky), good thing about this is ... on some days with the right conditions you can see/hear schools of small-medium tuna (yellowfin!!! ... Gary has caught them there before) feeding on the surface.

So I have done some reading and searched around, heard the US was cheaper so thats where I started (thnx for the links Netic :thumbup: from the other thread). I've narrowed it down to these 2 in my budget.

Eagle FishElite 480 Sounder/GPS Combo $349 USD

According to Eagle's site this will get me readings down to 244m

or

Eagle SeaCharter 480DF Sounder/GPS Combo $399 USD

Its not shown on Eagles site, but it is the same model as the SeaFinder 480 DF (which is missing GPS feature), this gives me a reading down to 457m

Now I know I won't be dropping a line in that kind of depth ... and I can always just get the map readings from Gary for the seamounts and other structure which I may otherwise not see on the FishElite sounder.

So to sum up, Am I better off getting a sounder that will get me covered for an extra $50USD ($66AUD) with a deeper reading and Duel Frequency or will the Single Frequency shallower reading + the use of GPS marks be enough?

Sorry for the long post :thumbdown: ... but I look forward to any comments you may have!

Cheers.

Ray

Guest IFishSick.

Personally I would go for the Lowrance depth sounder. they are the most user friendly I've known and owned. Good choice for the black and white, the colour doesn't show you any more and is $500 - $1000 more expensive.

Personally I would go for the Lowrance depth sounder. they are the most user friendly I've known and owned. Good choice for the black and white, the colour doesn't show you any more and is $500 - $1000 more expensive.

Hmm I have always thought Eagle sounders came out of the same factory as Lowrance, they sure look the same :1prop::1prop:

For those depths you definately need a dual transducer :biggrin2: for sure

Cheers Stewy

What the manufacturers state as the max depth they read definately depends on what type of water you are sounding ,much better readings in the fresh than the salt .

Hi Mate

I am looking for a new sounder as well. My reseach has lead me to a Eagle Seacharter 502c DF IGPS. This is a bit more expensive at $450 US but it has a duel frequency transducer 50/200 Hz. 500W RMS and 4000W RMS peak to peak and is 256 colour.

Eagle and Lowrance are made by the same company and the user function are very similar.

Good Luck

Kingpig

For those depths you definately need a dual transducer :biggrin2: for sure

Cheers Stewy

What the manufacturers state as the max depth they read definately depends on what type of water you are sounding ,much better readings in the fresh than the salt .

Ahh K thnx Stewy ... guess that settles it then, DF it is!

Hi Mate

I am looking for a new sounder as well. My reseach has lead me to a Eagle Seacharter 502c DF IGPS. This is a bit more expensive at $450 US but it has a duel frequency transducer 50/200 Hz. 500W RMS and 4000W RMS peak to peak and is 256 colour.

Eagle and Lowrance are made by the same company and the user function are very similar.

Good Luck

Kingpig

Mate, thats what I had looked at as well, but I don't think I would be all that fussed about colour (I may regret this later :mad3: ) ... besides from that I think the SeaCharter 480DF has the exact same range/features.

Can I also ask where you maybe planning to order yours from?\

Cheers

Edit: also ... anyone have an Idea on how long it takes to get shipped through express courier/airmail?

Edited by wirlez