Two Dead, Up To Five Missing In Boat Accident

mrmoshe

Terribly saddening news.

Two people are dead and five others are missing after two speed boats collided in Sydney's south.

Emergency services arrived near the scene of the crash - near Kangaroo Point on the Georges River - about 7pm (AEST) today, ABC television reports.

An NRMA Careflight spokeswoman said: "We believe there are nine to 12 people involved in the accident, possibly with five still missing in the water."

Careflight paramedics report one person dead, while ambulance officers are telling them two people had been killed, the spokeswoman said.

One person has been plucked from the water in a critical condition and airlifted to a rescue staging post at Sylvania Marina before being taken by road ambulance to Sutherland Hospital.

"They could still be searching for up to five people who are missing," the spokeswoman said

UPDATE @ 8.38pm:

One death confirmed after boats crash

ONE person is confirmed dead and another is missing feared drowned after two power boats collided in Sydney's south.

However, information is still confused, and it is possible that up to five people are yet to be found.

The boats collided about 6pm (AEST), near Kangaroo Point, on the Georges River at Sylvania, a NSW Waterways Authority spokesman said.

"A number of people ended up in the water. One person is dead. One person is missing presumed drowned. Several others have been recovered," the spokesman said.

Early reports said two people were killed in the collision between two speedboats, and six others involved had been found suffering minor injuries.

However, an NRMA Careflight spokeswoman said: "We believe there are nine to 12 people involved in the accident, possibly with five still missing in the water."

Careflight paramedics had reported one person dead, while ambulance officers had told them two people had been killed, the spokeswoman said.

One person was plucked from the water in a critical condition and airlifted to a rescue staging post at Sylvania Marina before being taken by road ambulance to Sutherland Hospital.

"They could still be searching for up to five people who are missing," the spokeswoman said.

Edited by MallacootaPete

thats some sad news to hear

Thats very sad,and an accident that most probably could

have been avoided.

Hey John the accident happened right at Manthos's back yard,

remember we used to have the Mustang moored at his jetty.

The rescue effort was conducted and some victims brought ashore

in his back yard,totaly freaked his family out.

:beersmile: penguin

i heard about that on the radio..

but it was no surprise to me that it happened.. i used to spent but no much lately time out in botany bay and on the georges river. and it came upon me that as soon as a lot of people get on the water they loose all of there common sense. if u cant see very well in front of u guess what SLOW DOWN.

just on night fall you should SLOW DOWN.

going under bridges u should SLOW DOWN

at night u should always keep ur lights on so that other boats know where you are.

many times i was going a long . minding my own business travelling on the right side of the channel or water way and some stupid idiot would be comming in my direction and even know im on the right side they would be coming towards me and not change there course which would make me have to change my course

to me its pretty simple keep a safe distance from other boats but yet its amazing that people cant follow a few simple rules and use some common sense out on the water

just on night fall you should SLOW DOWN.

going under bridges u should SLOW DOWN

at night u should always keep ur lights on so that other boats know where you are.

Ditto!

Its sad that things happen like this but would you drive your car at night without lights????

So so so many nights in Botany Bay you see boats without lights. Do they think cause they are anchored they dont need them anymore???? :thumbdown:

I am sure alot of people obey rules on the water but from my endless nights and mornings on the boat, there is so many that don't. The people that zoom through the bridges on the Georges, even when packed with boats or of a night a couple of times in the bay we have settled in the little cove around from mol and boats fly past. I reckon sometimes deliberately cause you are out of the main stream of water, but dead set their are just as many wankers in boats as there are good ones! :mad3:

Shame really. You cant seem to relax and do anything these days without someone being an idiot!

Anyways I will shut up now. Stupid :wife:

I agree with previous posters about having lights on and also boaties who speed. This is not just on the Georges river or Botany Bay. There are many boaties in the Hawkesbury river systems who always seem to be in a great hurry, even when there are signs to indicate no wash zones or 4kts areas. Some people simply cannot be relied upon to follow simple rules or guidelines.

The authorities must enforce the rules. Be on the waterways on weekends (not just on weekdays), issue some fines and send the message there are rules on the water as there are on land.

It will make the waterways safer for the rest of us.

i totally agress femalefisho..

i really do think that the msb should really intoduce actual boat driving lessons and not just a stupid computer test.

Boat driving lessons would help,however people take car

driving lessons and look at how many idiots are still on the

road,we need more law enforcment on the water,

but yet again some idiots will still be out there no matter what

:beersmile: penguin