Cowan Ck Saturday 16th September

Little_Flatty

Hi guys,

Today Saqa generously offered to take me out on the Rumboat to explore Cowan Ck and see if we could repeat the wild Trevally action he came across with George.S earlier in the week.

After spending way too much time getting ready I managed to get myself over to Saqa's place shortly after six am. With the Rumboat packed and ready to go we set off for Appletree bay, getting there around seven. Once there we had a bit of 'fun' getting to boat into the water (Saqa is a proud new boat owner and me the useless deckie from hell :1prop: ) then we were off!

Plan was to try to troll up a tailor for jewie bait, then go fish SPs for trevs while Saqa put out a big tailor slab for the jewies. So lures out once we were out of Appletree bay and off we went.

We hadn't moved thirty metres before Saqa hooks up on a Nilsie Invincible (?) but the fight was short lived as he got bitten off. Not a bad start to the day.

Anyhow after stopping to re-rig we troll on but things were awfully quiet on the pelagic front so we decided to change plans and see if we could troll up a big flatty. The way things turned out, this wasn't to be either so we stopped at cottage point to have a little breakfast.

After this we decided to cut to the chase and head straight off to Jerusalem bay where Saqa and George.s had their sucess. On our way out there we managed to gaff our first keeper of the day, a...

...6 inch plastic handline :1prop:

A score all the same, will come in handy next time I have to respool a reel :)

Finally we arrive at Jerusalem bay. Out goes the berley, in go the SPs and...nothing! Knowing that this spot might take a little while to get going, we persisted for a little longer. On one cast my gulp comes back chewed to bits and on the next cast up came this little fella:

post-1223-1158409267_thumb.jpg

This was my first LJ ever on SPs so I was quite happy with that. We stayed in this spot for another half hour but the wind and current was making it rather difficult/annoying to stay in one place, so after nailing a tiny little reddy we decided to look for somewhere else to fish. Saqa found some interesting structure just around the corner so we fished there for a little while to no avail, then returned to our original spot in Jerusalem bay.

We were hoping things had improved a little there, but it wasn't to be. So we decided to drive/troll our way back down to Bobbin Head for a bit of flats fishing. On our way out there we noticed some bait getting smashed on the edge of the creek. Saqa yells at me to get a lure out there quick smart and right on cue the water around us suddenly explodes with bait.

Out goes a 3 inch minnow...twitch...twitch and WHAM! zzzzzzzz....we're on! Whatever this was it was intent on giving me a fair bit of curry. After a few minutes we have colour then Saqa puts the net under my new Tailor PB :yahoo:

post-1223-1158409976_thumb.jpg

At 37cm this was no monster of OWZAT/Laurie proportions but we were stoked all the same. Even better was the fact that the bream UL Saqa had build for me made short work of this fish on a 4lb leader. Yeah Yeah! :biggrin2:

After this we were trying to find other bait boils on the surface but unfortunately they were not around any more. So we trolled until we reach the flats. On our way out there a stupid idiot numpty (me) decides to 'reset' the drag on my beautiful Pfluger outfit and snap the rod in the process :1badmood:

Ah well...Anyhow we arrive at the flats and cast hardbodies, SPs and gulps left right and centre but unfortunately no one was home or wanted to play ball so we decided to call it a day and head over to Haraka's place to catch up on his day on the water (I'm sure you'll hear about it soon).

So not too many fish caught but a glorious day to be out on the water all the same.

A big thanks goes to Saqa for having me along for the day and putting me onto these fish! Would love to do it again mate, and acquire some better deckie skills in the process!

Mike

It was very quite but still a nice day on the water with good company. We also ran into a guy fly fishing at ATB who noticed the Kingrods stickers on the rumboat and came over to ask if we were raiders, we confirmed with big grins and he introduced himself as Richie. (if you reading this mate then hello again)

If anyone seen a tiny light blue inflatable lookalike poly bristling with graphite wandering like crazy up and down cowan then you saw the mighty rumboat with Captain Saqa on the tiller

BTW.. Cottage point kiosk has wicked pies(I was hungry :biggrin2: ). If anyone in the area feels a bit peckish then try one. There is restroom facility there as well and Haraka seems to catch over 5 john dory per trip around the moorings. Ask him if you dont belive me (ask him anyway :074: )

Mike it was a pleasure fishing with you. Sorry I couldnt get any of the hard running silver saqas to play. We'll do it again soon.

It was very quite but still a nice day on the water with good company. We also ran into a guy fly fishing at ATB who noticed the Kingrods stickers on the rumboat and came over to ask if we were raiders, we confirmed with big grins and he introduced himself as Richie. (if you reading this mate then hello again)

It was good having a chat with you guys. Always nice to put a face to the name!

Anyway, I wasn't fly-fishing... I was "practicing my casting" :biggrin2:

If I had have caught something then I was fly fishing... :074:

Cheers guys,

Richie.