Broken Bay

harold

It has taken me a couple of days to put this up but here, it is an unbelievabe bad luck story. I got to my boat on 17/9/06 at 0600 at Akuna Bay and thought "hmm it is a little bit foggy but she'll be right" Pushed off and turned into Coal & Candle and thought "it is a little foggy this morning", put the boat up on the plane and thought "cant see a bloody thing, best slow right down". By this time i was in trouble, i couldnt see a metre in front of the boat and i became totally disoriented. I crept up beside the bank and was hoping it would thin out but it didnt. By this time half an hour had gone by and i saw a sign coming up that said "4 km zone", now i know this river like the back of my hand and there is no such sign other than at Akuna Bay. Somehow in my totally disoriented way i had turned 180 degrees and headed back to Akuna. I turned around and tried again, this time watching the compass. The fog didnt clear until 0840 and i was due in at 1030. I got out wide of Lion and drifted for 25 minutes for zilch, turned back in, cleaned the boat and drove home wondering just why i got out of bed so early on a sunday. Cest la vie.

Watch that fog, it is scary what can happen

i know how you feel about the fog mate, i got stuck at akuna bay(where the concrete platform is) from around 3 am untill 9am..bloodying annoying especialy because we had 3 people in a small half cabin boat..so it was cold for one of us at a time..

bad luck on not getting any fish on the time u did get to fish

"hmm it is a little bit foggy but she'll be right"

Sounds exactly like me when I saw this at ATB ..... :1prop::1prop:

post-1129-1158663099_thumb.jpg

Then when I turned into cowan, I saw nothing but white..... Headed slowly over to the bank and sat for an hour. When the sun started to come up, I took this photo...

post-1129-1158663216_thumb.jpg

Very dangerous place when it is foggy.... :(

Stephen

mate reminds me of a morning in berowra when we left the ramp clear as day, but by the time we hit joe crafts creek i kid you not we could not see a thing.

after following a boat in the wrong direction we were totally dis orientated.

thanks to my quick thinking and brains pulled out the map and compass and followed the shore line whilst keeping an eye on the sounder and worked our way down the river. by the time we got to turn at milsons island it was clear as day.

very frustrating and dangerous

G`day Fellas ,

I was sitting on the Pylons At Capt Cook bridge in heavy misty fog some years ago .

Feel dangling over the edge , and had just flopped a leather Jacket rig down the side of the Pylon and wham , a large 5 metre 1/2 cab job rammed the Pylon just metres from where I was sitting.

Now When I say Rammed , It hit at about 50/60 degrees , then skidded along the platform for about 3 metres , and then swerved back out into the channel .

The thing was , I never Heard it comming , because there was a council Street Sweeper just above me on the roadway , and drowned out the noise of the boat.

NO beg your Pardons from the driver ( which I couldn`t see any way ) he just kept going towards the Heads , and that was the end of it.

And although I was unhurt , it took me hours to settle down after that incident , not so much for scaring the living Bejeezuz outta me , but the fact I couldn`t Chase the SOB and Rip His Friggin head off.

Now if you think that was the end of it , well not so , you see , the constant rolling of the waves , had cut through my rope which was wrapped around the staunchion , and so , when the fog finaly cleared , my Tinny and Motor was nowhere to be seen.

I was just too lazy to get the special light chain I had made up for the pylons from the back shed.

So , Hailing down a passing cruiser from the Motor Boat Club , they took me aboard and went lickety split towards the heads where " Little Toot " all alone , was doing wheelies and doughnuts while bobbing up and down in the chop near the heads.

That was a scary ride back to the ramp that day , and as you would expect when all is going wrong , the bloody wind decided to come up as well didn`t it .

Funny now , but full on drama at the time.

Mick

Edited by OWZAT