Nav Lights

mattdan

Hi all,

As my new boat does not have nav lights i am currently looking to install them (4.6m coastal) I need some help in regards to the stern light.

I am looking at a removable 360degree anchor pole light for the stern. The length of this light is 660mm. Is this going to be to high and does it matter what side I mount it?

Also do i need it to be a 135degree light instead of the 360degree for the stern or being under 12m is the 360degree sufficient?

Thanks in advance

Matt

Mate as far as I know most everyone use a 360 degree light. If I were you if you have a Bias or withworth shop close by just go down and they will advise you on what you need. They certainly won't send you home with the wrong stuff

Cheers

The anchor light must be visible from 360 deg so that approaching boats can see you. You can be fined if it is not. You don't have to mount it at the stern, any place is legal as long as it is visible from 360 deg. Often the stern is a poor place to put it as it is not visible from bow-on due to the cabin or canopy. I have mine on top of the hard top.

Edited by billfisher

The anchor light must be visible from 360 deg so that approaching boats can see you. You can be fined if it is not. You don't have to mount it at the stern, any place is legal as long as it is visible from 360 deg. Often the stern is a poor place to put it as it is not visible from bow own due to the cabin or canopy. I have mine on top of the hard top.

:dito:

My 2 cents....

I often find when being in boats that have a 360 Deg stern light it plays havoc with my vision at night. Probably because when your fishing out the stern you have this constant shining light in the corner of your eye. :mad3:

I have recently bought a couple of white lights from Big W (they sell quite a surprising range of this stuff), one to replace the one that is down the back of my boat, and one for the front. My current arrangement has a push-pull switch that has three positions - off, white, white/red/green.

The main reason for putting in two white lights is that when im out at night i want to have the white light on for other boats' visibility obviously, but when its down the back it just shines in your eyes all the time. Hence, the front one will be on instead, and i can turn the back one off when the nav lights turn off. This way i can turn on the back one when i need to re-rig or bait up or just need some light, and then turn it off to get it out of my eyes.

I have tried torches etc but they just go flat and i often forget my torch too... which is naughty!