Best Way To Catch Carp?

my03

hey guys, whats the best way to catch carp in shallow 4 feetish water, bait or sp? is it possible to catch them on sp or fly? if so what kinda rod would you need?

and also, when do they usually stop spawning? i know its unusually this hot early and they've been spawning a while now.

hey guys, whats the best way to catch carp in shallow 4 feetish water, bait or sp? is it possible to catch them on sp or fly? if so what kinda rod would you need?

and also, when do they usually stop spawning? i know its unusually this hot early and they've been spawning a while now.

Not sure about spawning, but you could try on a black fish float, and maggots or corn.

Dan

No idea about spawning, but bait is the go for carp. It isn't unheard of for them to take a plastic, but it's pretty rare. I use corn from the can. Put 2 or 3 pieces on a smallish hook, and throw a bit around as burley. Apparently bread or dough works pretty well as well, but the carp around my way like corn better.

Good luck. :1fishing1:

I am not major carp fisherman, but from what I hear corn is a popular bait.

From an environmental point in 4 foot of water a stick of dynamite as burley would be effective :biggrin2:

I assume there Europen Carp

Good luck with it and remember don't throw any back. :thumbup:

Cheers

Martin

In shallow water I like to burley up with bread Keep the pieces small and dont wet it you want it to float on the top where the carp will suck it down then just add a hook to a piece of bread and wait for the suck down or fly fish with bread flys in the burley When using corn in shallow water burley up with it not to much and thread two kernals onto a size eight luderick hook use as little weight as possible or preferably no weight keep a slight bow in the line wait for it to straighten and strike I use my light luderick rod with a small threadline on it as an effective outfit for carp The length helps keep the carp out of the reeds

thanks for the replies guys,

there is a real assortment of carp in the river, from what i can see, koi, and common euros, obviously there're so cross bred that you wouldnt get one with pure strains on either sides if you were to do a dna test.

from judging by the bodies of some specimines, there is some nasty inbreeding going on there as well.

i will try to burley up with pieces of bread, but guys, when you mean bread, do you mean a chunk of bread on the hook, or just the white section, rolled up and compressed into a dough like ball and then onto the hook.

some of these carp are seriously big.

we are talking average size 40-60cm head to tail, i would not imagine the weight of these as they are fat suckers and from watching the excitement in spawning, they would put up a big fight!!!

thanks for the replies guys,

there is a real assortment of carp in the river, from what i can see, koi, and common euros, obviously there're so cross bred that you wouldnt get one with pure strains on either sides if you were to do a dna test.

from judging by the bodies of some specimines, there is some nasty inbreeding going on there as well.

i will try to burley up with pieces of bread, but guys, when you mean bread, do you mean a chunk of bread on the hook, or just the white section, rolled up and compressed into a dough like ball and then onto the hook.

some of these carp are seriously big.

we are talking average size 40-60cm head to tail, i would not imagine the weight of these as they are fat suckers and from watching the excitement in spawning, they would put up a big fight!!!

Mate, you could even try fishing for them with a fly. I understand there is a fly called a bread fly, particularly if you burley with bread. I know a few guys have also used this fly in Narrabeen lagoon chasing mullet so no reason why carp should not take it.

Cheers

Martin

Where abouts are these carp? I sometimes take a rod for carp in the neopean river after an arvo swim.

I use a wooden float, with a short trace and a tiny hook.

If i can be bothered i make a few different doughs? Different colors, flavors..ect but the easiest thing to use is a compressed piece of white bread..

I do alot of carp fishing and find worms bread and corn the best bait. Use a simple rig, sinker shortish

leader and a bream sized hook. burley with bread if you like but there are usually so many that its not neccessary. You can use fairly light gear as even th big ones can be fairly lazy.