Beastmaster 40 Two Speed

Guest danielinbyron

Guest danielinbyron

Just in the process of buying beast master 40 2 speed 3.1/1- 1/1.. don' t have any experience with them other than coveting one on a friends boat years ago.Two speed thing just appeared to me as something else that could go wrong.. and as a strict desciple of murphies law...probably will..Any body got one or had one.. got any advice???re maintenance or difference in use.????

I usually use a tld 25...land based live baiting and trolling on boat... its a done deal buying it..

Guest danielinbyron

Hi Bashir,

as far as the Beastmasters go, they were rated in sizes of 3/0 and 4/0, which are a 30 and 50 size respectively

yes thats the description sorry 4/0.. but that was said to hold 600yrds of 15kg which is the same as the tld25 ... as far as parts i'm hoping that besides the brass body they maybe the same... as its a Titon Lever Drag...its in great nick and i'm paying $250....which seems fair...heres a p..ic i think

post-1693-1159256471_thumb.jpg

Edited by danielinbyron

Sammy if you are saying a 4/0 is a 50, then this reel only takes 600yds of 15kg, so that would make it a 20-30 beastamster I'd imagine...

Considering you can buy a brand new tld25 for much less or even a second hand tld30 for similar prices, I wouldn't touch it.

Guest danielinbyron

Sammy if you are saying a 4/0 is a 50, then this reel only takes 600yds of 15kg, so that would make it a 20-30 beastamster I'd imagine...

Considering you can buy a brand new tld25 for much less or even a second hand tld30 for similar prices, I wouldn't touch it.

Yeah I'm laughing to myself here thinkin that'd be so me .. I wanted one ten years ago and couldn't afford it and bought it now cos i can .. Regardless of the fact its been outdated and there is better things on the market :074: However:I was under the impression that the old beast masters were better engineered than the new tlds which i have and have been really happy with.... or is that just part of my denial :074::074: shssssshhhhh here she comes :wife:

Great reel in their day. Streets ahead of anything else. The 4/0 is basically a TLD 30 in a metal body and were fantastic reels.

I still have a Beastmaster 20/50 which is the same sized reel just in a graphite frame and it's still going great. Was working just the other day on a mate's 50/80 and it's nothing short of a nightmare. They can have serious drag issues and the parts required are no longer available through Shimano. Not sure if the 4/0 uses the same drag system but i hope for your sake it doesn't. For $250 i would buy it, if only to re-ignite old memories.

Cheers

Red

Guest danielinbyron

Great reel in their day. Streets ahead of anything else. The 4/0 is basically a TLD 30 in a metal body and were fantastic reels.

I still have a Beastmaster 20/50 which is the same sized reel just in a graphite frame and it's still going great. Was working just the other day on a mate's 50/80 and it's nothing short of a nightmare. They can have serious drag issues and the parts required are no longer available through Shimano. Not sure if the 4/0 uses the same drag system but i hope for your sake it doesn't. For $250 i would buy it, if only to re-ignite old memories.

Cheers

Red

had long chats with owner .. sussed he was a genuine guy .. put a deposit down to show i was serious .. He said it had minor superficial scratches was maintained and stored well..was in perfect working order with smoothas new drag.. And he was selling it due to under use and an impending move..might give those shimano boys in Sydney a bell .. if parts are an issue maybe i won't use it land based..

Guest danielinbyron

Sounds like a clean deal mate. Keep me in mind if you ever decide to sell or swap it :074:

Regards

Red

cheers mate .. i feel a bit better about it now .. and i will keep ya in mind..