Syd Sambos

Guest fishrunner

Guest fishrunner

G'day all,

Went out for a fish today with Jewel.

We originally planned going a bit wider today but the weather put an end to that as did us comming upon a very active school of sambos :thumbup:

post-647-1159596679_thumb.jpg

We started catchin these very aggressive sambo's hand over fist on the light bream gear, but after 1/2 doz just couldn't handle it anymore on the wrists and also the long 10-15 min fights, we were gettin buggered and starting to complain of rsi, gettin scared to throw in the lure again,- the sambo's were spread over a large area but were hamering almost anything thrown at them. :wacko:

post-647-1159596207_thumb.jpg

So switched to a king rod with tierra for Mick and the same for me but baitcaster with curado, this made things a bit more manageable :074: - they didn't stand a chance and it's nice to fell the true power behind these sambo's that were all nudging 65-70 cm, they were huge and gave a very good account of themselves :biggrin2:

post-647-1159596530_thumb.jpg

Being skipper I declared bream outfits only and we got another couple each, we could watch these sambo's cruisin down the faces of waves for about 50 mtrs and was an impressive sight, but then due to the turning weather we decided it was time to bail, :(

A rough slow trip was had on the way home , but shit happens and it was all worth it, :biggrin2:

Hope every one had a good one,

cheers

Edited by fishrunner

Guest fishrunner

couple of more photo's

it was gettin roughpost-647-1159597485_thumb.jpg and we were gettin wet as you do in a small c/console :1prop:

post-647-1159602413_thumb.jpg

They were good sized fish though

cheers tight lines :biggrin2:

Edited by fishrunner

It compares pretty well, plenty of drag and very smooth.

Its not a Certate but for less than half the $$$ it rates pretty close.

At this stage I would say that the Certate is the stronger reel, but there is not enough between them to make it a real concern for most applications.

Hey Fishrunner!

Nice salmon there! What time did you get into them???

When we came back through the heads (9-10AM) the schools were busting up all over the place with enough birds and boats to number the fish on a 1:1 ratio ALMOST :1prop:

The reason I'm asking is I was out with another raider, and we didnt get a single strike, and my brother on his boat, dropped one after a short run!!!! :1badmood::1badmood::1badmood:

Anyhow weather was a shocker, but company was good! :1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1:

cheers Dan

Dan,

We were out there from about 0930 till 1130 I think. What was the boat you were in?

We didnt ahve too much trouble with other boats as we were a little wide and south and it was getting rough, so a lot were leaving......... the birds were a different story though, Iv got assorted chunks out of my hands from untangling bloody mutton birds from lines!!!

How were you trying to catch them troll/spin/bait? and what lures were you using?

Hey Jewel

We were throwing 7-15gms spinners, jigs, flies and plastics at them!!!! Mind you didnt stay too long there due to the conditions :1badmood::1badmood:

Pretty sure I saw you out their!

I was in a 4.55 half cab with a mate off this site (cheers Craig), and my brother was out there in the tinny 4.1M brooker.

Almost positive I saw you out there bud! If memory serves me correctly you were the only one I saw hookup!!! Well done! Were you the bloke that point out the school to 2 other guys in a boat out there when they went deep????? If so well done mate as you were in mid-fight with a salmon :1prop::1prop::1prop:

Whatcha get ur salmon on mate?

cheers

Dan

Edited by Dan and Greg

We didnt bother with metals, although Im sure they would have worked, we usually use 3-5gm halcos.

All the fish were caught on 3" bass minnows and 5' jerk baits worked reasonably slowly, they were fussy with about them not spinning though!

I dont recall showing any-one fish but its quite possible as we are pretty courtious out there as long as you dont put the fish down or get too close when we are on!!!

Cheers Mate

Just had one very courtoues angler point the school out to us whilst HE was mid-fight LOL couldnt beleive this guy! Fighting a fish and still helping others out :1fishing1:

Sorry mate :beersmile: ,,,, but were you alone? I know you said you had fishrunner with you! just saw a bloke with a very similiar rig to yours out there ALONE

Anyhow have a good one! Might see you out there again soon

Dan

Great going there fella's and great report. :thumbup:

I had a similar day near the heads at Botany today with most fish going around the 55 - 60 cm range. :1fishing1:

Caught some on the troll early morning using Berkley Frenzys' and then chased and casted to the schools later in the morning with most fish then taking 3" Pearl Blue bass minnows.

Great fun on the 4/6lb bream gear but like you said, it's hard on the arms. :yahoo:

Oh, and I again went in for a swim when my rod flew overboard, gee's a bloke moves quick when he has to............I was getting hot anyway. :1prop::074:

cheers :beersmile:

Hooky

Guest fishrunner

Good goin there Hooky :thumbup: they sure do tire out the arms though :wacko: .

Gettin easier and easier as the prey they are chasin grows up :thumbup:

Obviously you were so excited you just wanted to jump in the ocean to be with them :074:

cheers