Ramp Security

domza

I will be geting my full boat licence in a few weeks and want to take the boat out with some mates for a days fishing.

I was wondering would it be safe leaving the trailer alone (not attatched to car) for the day?

Would i need some sort of lock on the tyres or locking a chain through the spokes of the rims?

The reason I want to do this, is because my dad will be droping us off, and its just more trouble for him towing a empty trailer around...

The ramps i am considering are the milperra ( flower power) ramp, The georges river national park( alfreds point) ramp, or the cooks river ramp(kyeemagh) and the port botany ramp.

Do I have something to worry about leaving the trailer there? It will be left during daylight hours

any advice would be great! :1fishing1:

Search ebay for "trailer lock" there are some decent ones on there for about $30 inc postage, they simply lock on the coupling so it cannot be mounted onto a towbar, if you have a bit more $$$ then definatly a KLAMPIT is the go but i think they are around $200

Edited by mick309

I put a lock on mine and it is attached to the car. So I would definately lock it up.

Milperra ramp is notorious for theivery, I now people who refuse to launch their boat there. Georges River (Revesby) is better as it is a national park and there are lots of people.

But definately lock it up

Brad

hey there

i often use the ramp at flower power and i chain the trailer to my car with a padlock ,

so far so good,

but if i was to just leave the trailer there by its self i would be chaining it to a tree and put a wheel locking device on the wheels,

i also use the ramp at oatley and always park my car and trailer so that they would have problems getting the trailer off my car and again i always padlock it to my car

Thanks for the reply guys, i will check out cooks river and see a possible tree that i could chain the main bar of the trailer to.

I will also buy a thick chain and padlock it around the tyre..but during summer I shouldnt have any trouble seeing as there are always people there.

• 2 weeks later...

Call me security freak but I have a coupling lock on the trailer and car required by insurance company, and chain both wheels on the trailer.

Don't want to get back from a nice day fishing and can't drive home.

It's too bad it's come to this but nothing is safe these days.

Chains and padlocks aren't much protection as a bolt cutter will go through them in seconds. One of those cable locks sold in bike shops is better protection. Also the simple trailer coupling locks offer very good protection for only around $30.

At home I have one of these coupling locks plus a wheel clamp on my boats.

DOMZA,

I know the ramp at Flower Power (Moorebank) pretty well. There are heaps of telegraph / street / sign poles that you could chain your trailer to.

I second what all the other fellas have advised you. That is definitely get yourself a trailer lock. They are only worth about $30 and a very wise investment. Just remember if the theives want it...... they will get it no matter what you do. Your job is to make it that bit harder!

Good luck.

DOMZA,

I know the ramp at Flower Power (Moorebank) pretty well. There are heaps of telegraph / street / sign poles that you could chain your trailer to.

I second what all the other fellas have advised you. That is definitely get yourself a trailer lock. They are only worth about $30 and a very wise investment. Just remember if the theives want it...... they will get it no matter what you do. Your job is to make it that bit harder!

Good luck.

thanks mate, i will definantly invest in the trailer lock.

I have heard alot of confirmed reports of stolen trailers over the years at the milpera ramp, but mostly at night..

My trailer is a very standard one, it wouldnt be worth 1k..But i guess your right, if they really wanted it then they would take it..Another form of security is other boaters at the busy ramp, hopefully they would call the cops and ask some questions before they take off with it..

Just a thought whilst this thread is going a little again

With these trailer locks that go around the towball hitch,

just be aware if you buy a $30 lock from a store and has a

Lock already on it.

I would think they wouldn,t make to many with different key numbers to these

locks.So what i done was use another lockwood lock i had at home that i trust.

Not saying that they are all the same but i have never checked has anyone else

Just a thought whilst this thread is going a little again

With these trailer locks that go around the towball hitch,

just be aware if you buy a $30 lock from a store and has a

Lock already on it.

I would think they wouldn,t make to many with different key numbers to these

locks.So what i done was use another lockwood lock i had at home that i trust.

Not saying that they are all the same but i have never checked has anyone else

Good point Johnno.

Guest IFishSick.

An easy way to stop it being stolen is just to get a paddlock and some chain and wrap it around a telegraph pole. The boat ramp I use has railings to seperate car spaces you could fasten it to.

An easy way to stop it being stolen is just to get a paddlock and some chain and wrap it around a telegraph pole. The boat ramp I use has railings to seperate car spaces you could fasten it to.

yep thats what i will be doing, except i will be chaining to to a tree, plus chaining the tyre