Trailer Jacks

Dorado 2

Hi fellow fishraiders

While doing some maintenance on my trailer my setup of jacking the trailer up is very inadequate and I have to do something about it unless I want to take with me 3 bricks to give the jack enough height to lift the tyres off the ground, the jack itself came from one of my boys cars, traingular ones and that near buckled under the load. I also needed some wood where the jack meets the trailer to prevent slippage, so really it's a pain in the ass!!

So what jack do you use and how do you do the whole procedure in a safe manner??? offcoarse making allowances that you are not in the confort of your garage with level concrete to boot!!

Cheers

I use my jockey wheel as a jack

wind in all the way in - place car stands and the back corners and then wind the jockey wheel out till i have clearance

Well I take it that the bottle jack (hydrualic) are the go but I might just make an attachment out of channel to meet the RHS to minimise any slippage. Do those hydrualic jacks go up far enough though?? or there are different types??

Cheers

Dorado 2

You can get bottle jacks that have adjustable heights via a threaded section on the internal part of the Hydraulic ram. If you can understand that. :wacko:

It is a much better idea to have one of these to use.

Another option is to get a little trolley jack as you will find these very stable.

Always use some sort of support when you jack something up ie. Axle stands.

I have seen too many people crushed under something that has fallen of jacks.

Hi guys

I think the trolly jack is the safest way to go as it would be more stable, actually had a look at my Ford jack and it looks pretty shithouse to be honest, so might kill to birds with one stone. I just wanted something less cumbursome to take with me along with the other shit I carry in the boot when going out with the boat, the car boot always seems to stacked. I think I'll invest in a proper tool box and take only bare minimum preferebly a heavy duty plastic one. Thankyou fellowraiders for your help and I hope some other raiders might follow the same advise, and make a simple job like changing a tyre or bearings a safe one

Cheers