Squirt Worms

chrisg

Hi all

Took the kids out with the pump today....never used it before. Found tubes sticking up which i guess are squirt worm tubes but did'nt get much out...just the odd white sac looking things. I take it I should be looking for a thing that looks like a worm..can't find any pictures.

Found lots of green thin worms on the sand..can they be used as bait?

And as for nippers.....how far down do you go with the pump?

Its all so hard...is this why we have servo bait :biggrin2:

Cheers

Chris

where did you go to pump for nippers, are you land based or by boat?

what size where worms? lenght/width

We were at Ettalong. The worms were about 6-10cm long and only 2-3 mm thick..they were just wriggling in shallow pools in the sand.

cheer

Chris

We were at Ettalong. The worms were about 6-10cm long and only 2-3 mm thick..they were just wriggling in shallow pools in the sand.

cheer

Chris

i have heard pelican island is a great spot for nippers at low tide only, i wish i could get up there but its just to far :05:

Edited by domza

Guest IFishSick.

When pumping for nippers I do 6 pumps.

1st and 2nd go all the way to the bottom.

The next four go about 40cm deep and suck up all the loose sand where they get sucked out into.

Good luck.

yeah i know the worms you are talking about, they are a gun bait for whiting but they are very delicate and half the time they will fly off your hook when casting..When pumping for nippers the pump should be around 3/4 down into the sand,well that works for me anyway..good luck next time :thumbup:

many years ago (when i could be bothered pumping worms) i use to find it easier to blow them out of the holes.

i would go into the shallows place the pump over a hole and pump down. that would force the air out of the pump and down the hole, watch around the other holes in the area and see worms pop out of them.

one pump use to result in two or three (sometimes more) worms with minimum effort.

but it has been about 10 years since ive done it down on the flats east of cooks bridge near the sailing club.

many years ago (when i could be bothered pumping worms) i use to find it easier to blow them out of the holes.

i would go into the shallows place the pump over a hole and pump down. that would force the air out of the pump and down the hole, watch around the other holes in the area and see worms pop out of them.

one pump use to result in two or three (sometimes more) worms with minimum effort.

but it has been about 10 years since ive done it down on the flats east of cooks bridge near the sailing club.

thats a top tip - will try it next time out

Chris

did the sand (where you were pumping) have lots & lots of small holes, was it low tide?

Not sure what the place is called but when Jim and I go for nippers, you drive through the national park to get there. I wil ask him when he gets home.

Go low tide and we too go down about 3/4 length of the pump.

Seriosly we get maybe 100 or so in about 10 minutes.

Not sure what the place is called but when Jim and I go for nippers, you drive through the national park to get there. I wil ask him when he gets home.

Go low tide and we too go down about 3/4 length of the pump.

Seriosly we get maybe 100 or so in about 10 minutes.

sounds like a great spot, which national park is it?

ah yes i have heard bundeena is a great spot for the nippers! The whole port hacking is full of them i hear..too bad i only fish botany :1badmood:

That would be Mainbar sand flats :biggrin2:

Hi all

Thanks for the replies. The spot we tried has patches with heaps of 1 cm holes and patches of holes 4 or 4 mm across...there in sand and pumping gets you down to black wet silty sand,

The kids managed 2 nippers in mud at the water edge..pot luck I think..it was'nt around holes! When I say mud it was the sort of stuff you would sink to your ankles in.

Still two is a start...week of school holidays left!

Cheers

Chris

Hi all

Thanks for the replies. The spot we tried has patches with heaps of 1 cm holes and patches of holes 4 or 4 mm across...there in sand and pumping gets you down to black wet silty sand,

Chris

What I found is there are not in the black stuff - or not in numbers anyway.

The cleaner the sand the more we seem to get.

Hi all

The kids managed 2 nippers in mud at the water edge..pot luck I think..it was'nt around holes! When I say mud it was the sort of stuff you would sink to your ankles in.

Still two is a start...week of school holidays left!

Cheers

Chris

Sounds like the mud you get around mangroves, if so you will proberly find the holes belong to crabs.

do you have access to a boat? as there are plenty of location in pittwatter & cowan creek (don't know Brisbane waters that well)

ask at the local bait tackle shop, they should be able to tell you where to find them