Flares

Wastin Time

take them to a soccer game :1prop:

just joking, im pretty sure boating shops like bias, whitworths ect..will take them of your hands

p.s whats the average use by life of a flare?

Good idea!!

One of the boys are heading out there tonight, thanks D. i always new ppl were helpful here...lol

Seriously though i think life span is 3-4 yrs

Nsw fire brigades says

Distress flares

For info contact your local NSW Maritime Authority office or dispose of at household chemical collections.

Nsw Maritime says

Most flares have a use-by date of three years and they should be replaced before the expiry date. If your old flares appear to be in good condition keep them onboard as a backup. Once they start to look damaged, enquire with the manufacturer about the best means of disposal. Don’t put them in the garbage or take them to the tip.

Note: It is an offence to fire flares except in an emergency.

Edited by johnno

Hi all,

I have just noticed that my flares (purchased with the boat) are out of date, how do i dispose of them???

They are in perfect condition

Keep them as back up. I have done heaps of offshore yacht racing and in that fraternity of people most reckon that they would rather have ten out of date flares than four in date ones. Even new ones can fail. If you don't want to keep them take them to a secluded place and let them off (not the parachute)as it is good to to learn how they work. If you don't like this idea, contact Coastal Patrol> sometimes they arrange nights for everyone to let off their old flares and learn how to use them. otherwise you could just donate them to coastal patrol because they use old flares in some of their seamanship courses.

cheers

davo