Jewfish Restocking Program

Sharky

Hi all.

I spoke to Matt Tayler (AKA Mattyt) today he is running the Jewfish restocking program in NSW for Fisheries and Marine Environmental Research.

He is based up the coast at the moment and we have a new Sydney contact for donation of Jewfish heads and there guts. Basically if you catch a Jewfish in Sydney and you keep it for the table bag the head and guts and put it in the freezer.

The contents of the guts are used to research what the jewfish are feeding on at different times of the year and the heads are used to age them (They do this by tacking out the jewels and measuring them). If you can weigh and measure the fish before you prepare them for the table that would be great also.

Now the gentlman who is looking after Sydney is Sam I spoke to him today and he sounds like a great bloke. Sam will pick up the samples asap so they dont clog up your freezer.

Now for the catch and release jewie fishoes I will be recieving some sample kits with instructions. Basically you take a couple of scales and a sample of the jewies anal fin and bag it. The jewfish can be aged by there scales and the anal fin tell the guys if it was one of there stocked fish. If you would like a sample kit please express you interest so I can get an idea of how many raiders will need.

This research program helps us fishoes to catch more jews and now that cant be a bad thing can it?

Thanks guys

Sam 040446099

Fisheries and Marine Environmental Research

School of Biological Earth & Environmental Sciences

University of New South Wales

UNSW SYDNEY 2052

Ph: +61 2 9385 2118

Fax: +61 2 9385 1558

Mob: 0410 558 653

Guest danielinbyron

yeah mate ... we caught and released a heap of small fish this year in a place i'd never seen a small fish..

around byron....i'd been told there was a release from ballina river early last year and that they wanted heads

but this is the first i'd heard of the scales kit.... please keep me posted or pm me the details of your man ..

i'm sure he can point me in the right direction for a contact from the local programme..

cheers d