Jig Heads

Guest danielinbyron

Guest danielinbyron

i am just wondering ... why anyone would bother using unrigged shads and reusing a jig head when for the most part pre-rigged ones are so much cheaper and available in so many weights and sizes..

and the weight is often buried better within the plastic itself...can't $ee the value..

Good point there Daniel.

I think one of the reasons is that you can change over to different plastics without having to re-tie your hook/rig.

You can also use round heads, bullet heads, resin heads, keel heads, drop shot or texas rigs depending on what action you want on your plastics. With a premoulded/weighted plastic it only has the one action. Mottyman will tell you that his beloved gulp worms don't come pre rigged!

They're a couple of reasons off the top of my head & I'm sure there are plenty of more.

Cheers,

Grant.

Good point there Daniel.

I think one of the reasons is that you can change over to different plastics without having to re-tie your hook/rig.

You can also use round heads, bullet heads, resin heads, keel heads, drop shot or texas rigs depending on what action you want on your plastics. With a premoulded/weighted plastic it only has the one action. Mottyman will tell you that his beloved gulp worms don't come pre rigged!

They're a couple of reasons off the top of my head & I'm sure there are plenty of more.

Cheers,

Grant.

To add to the list...

1. Weightless & weedless presentations

2. Variance of jighead weight with water depth and current/tidal conditions whilst using the same plastic

3. Heavily-weighted, small SPs for deep species such as snapper

Flattieman.