Extra Fuel

Lasty

I carry a 5 litre "reserve tank" as well as the std 25 litre. Am about to fit a 45litre alloy tank though.

You can buy plastics up to 50 litre now though but it comes down to space.

GT

i carry a 20litre plastic jerry can..25bucks from super cheap..make sure u buy one with a built in funnel which will allow you to fill up on the water without any spills..

I will also be upgrading tanks soon, and it is possible to get a 75litre plastic tank..

Personally , I would NEVER transfer fuel from one tank to another in the boat. There have been some dreadful accidents with fuel and boats, a teaspoon of fuel in the bilge , and a small spark could be lethal.

I have a 25l tank , and a 30l tank , all I need do is swap the hose from one tank to the other. For longer journeys , I have a 20l steel jerry can , I take the tank I want to fill out of the boat , and transfer the fuel on land , or on the dock.

Ross

and thats where an oversize funnel comes in handy,

make sure you've got one

personally i dont think that transferring fuel at sea is nearly as dangerous with an underfloor fuel tank and access to it through the gunnel, its nowhere near any sparks or danger

each to their own i suppose

still good to be safe

CFD

There is no need to transfer fuel with the availability of portable plastic fuel tanks in a wide range of sizes. I don't know why anyone would want to carry jerry cans. Plus with the portable fuel tanks you have a fuel source independant of your undefloor tank, which is prone to water contamination.

There is no need to transfer fuel with the availability of portable plastic fuel tanks in a wide range of sizes. I don't know why anyone would want to carry jerry cans. Plus with the portable fuel tanks you have a fuel source independant of your undefloor tank, which is prone to water contamination.

Thats a fair point billfisher, but in my case i have a small portable fuel tank under the back seats of my boat..now i could get a bigger fuel tank but thats 200+ instead i got a 20litre jerry for 20bucks and it does the job great..

Buying another small portable tank would not fit in the back area anyway, and the jerry sits in the cabin out of the way.

I will post a picture of the jerry can to show the funnel system, there is definantly no spills, and i only ever fill up if there is no waves, otherwise i beach it and fill it on the land..

I might consider buying a bigger fuel tank one day, but to tell you the truth, id rather spend that 200 on fuel to go fishing :1fishing1:

This is the fuel tank, the long nozzel goes directly into the fuel tank

post-998-1160879213_thumb.jpg

Edited by domza

Im going to stick to my guns on this one fellas , transferring fuel onboard is dangerous , pouring a steady stream of a highly volatile liquid in a rocking boat is not as easy as it sounds , and raises the odds of an accident .

While the nozzle would indeed go right into the filler neck of the tank , it is so easy to slightly overfill a tank , which results in spilt fuel inside the boat. Having an earth lead is just another thing to get caught up on , the only really safe way to get around your capacity problem is to invest in a larger tank.

Ross