Airlines And One Piece Rods?

etay

G'day all.

Has anyone ever taken a 7' one piece rod overseas? how are airlines with this arrangement? Any experience anyone has had will be appreciated

thanks

I always take one pc rods to fiji. You have to check the tubes into the oversize terminal. Just follow the guys with the surf boards. It is best to check with the airline before hand

I take my 6ft game rods up to Townsville each year, in fact I leave again in just 3 weeks. I put them in a 90mm dia (PVC) stormwater pipe with a screw cap on one end. I fly with Qantas each time and it's never been a problem..... touch wood.

I made the tube up a few years back and just keep using the same one. I think it cost me about $20 to buy all the PVC fittings & pipe from a plumbers supply shop. Don't buy it from Bunnings - they are a rip off!

i have the pvc option i also use it on the roof racks when driving away

i recomend rapping your rod with old bed sheets inside the pipe for extra protection

i have noticed ***** now have a product for this purpose. with name tag thingy and padding inside and a zipper cap at one end looks pritty good and probebly just as cheap after you buy the pvc pipe and 2 ends and the glue

at Km..T

This from the QANTAS site :

Fishing Equipment

A fishing kit consists of two rods, one reel, one landing net, one pair of boots and one tackle box. To be accepted for carriage, fishing rods must be protected in a PVC cylinder with screw ends, which can be obtained from a local fishing store, or in PVC plumbing or electrical tubing. Fishing rods must not be strapped to suitcases.Australian Domestic New Zealand Domestic

Fishing kits can be included in the baggage allowance. If the fishing kit and your checked baggage exceed the free baggage allowance additional baggage rates will be charged. Fishing Kits are subject to a flat rate handling fee of NZ$20. The flat rate covers kits weighing up to 15kg (33lb). Fishing Kits over 15kg (33lb) will be charge NZ$20 plus NZ$5 per kg over 15kg (33lb).

International Weight System International Piece System

Fishing kits will be included in the free baggage weight allowance. When the combined weight of the fishing kit and your checked baggage exceeds the free baggage weight allowance additional baggage rates will be charged. The fishing kit constitutes one piece of checked baggage. If the fishing kit and your checked baggage exceed the free baggage piece allowance additional baggage rates will be charged

Ross

This from the QANTAS site :

Fishing Equipment

A fishing kit consists of two rods, one reel, one landing net, one pair of boots and one tackle box. To be accepted for carriage, fishing rods must be protected in a PVC cylinder with screw ends, which can be obtained from a local fishing store, or in PVC plumbing or electrical tubing. Fishing rods must not be strapped to suitcases.Australian Domestic New Zealand Domestic

Fishing kits can be included in the baggage allowance. If the fishing kit and your checked baggage exceed the free baggage allowance additional baggage rates will be charged. Fishing Kits are subject to a flat rate handling fee of NZ$20. The flat rate covers kits weighing up to 15kg (33lb). Fishing Kits over 15kg (33lb) will be charge NZ$20 plus NZ$5 per kg over 15kg (33lb).

International Weight System International Piece System

Fishing kits will be included in the free baggage weight allowance. When the combined weight of the fishing kit and your checked baggage exceeds the free baggage weight allowance additional baggage rates will be charged. The fishing kit constitutes one piece of checked baggage. If the fishing kit and your checked baggage exceed the free baggage piece allowance additional baggage rates will be charged

Ross

Thats good reference

The pvc tubing option is very good. The screw on end caps can be sourced from the hardware shop as well. There is a little trick that can be used to lock it. Its hard for me to describe it in writing but if anyone is interested then give me a call. I normally take about 4-6 rods in one tube. I have had bad experience with the $30 blue department store tubes before. the endcaps are not really solid and rod tips can tear through if handled roughly. you have to be carefull with how you pad the tubes and suspend the rods in it. the safest way is to get a peice of dwel slightly longer then the longest rod, wrap bands of sponge every foot or so, then tape your rods around it, then wrap some more bands of sponge around the whole lot leaving a couple of inches of dowel sticking out further then the rods. The ends of the dowel then becomes what hits the endcaps and provides something to grip when pulling the whole lot out. The total weight of the tube can end up being almost half the half the free baggage allowance. When trevelling with a lot of gear it can pay to use the unacompanied baggage service. You send whatever you want ahead and collect it from the airport when you get there. try not to carry any lead products like lures of sinkers in you hand luggage to cheat on the weigh in as they will mask the xray scan you will have to empty everything out at the counter for check. What I do is remove line from my reels (even with reels with 1000m capacity) and carry these in the hand luggage together with the camera equipment. Dont want anyone to ding them. in the suitcase with clothes I put the tackle trays as the final item so if needed for security checks then there is no diging out. it is a good idea to put the trays in sandwich style bags as they can pop open and you will end up with hooks and stuff everywhere. Learn how to respool alone correctly. It is easy to do this alone and apply huge amounts of tension, very important with braid and heavy drag scenarios. I can only explain the technique verbaly.

I acctually use an esky instead of one of the suitcase. It always comes in handy, specialy when trevaling to a tropical location. You are even allowed to take frozen seafood to a lot of destinations and this comes in very handy as bait is not avialable in servos like here. The only condition is that the fish should be scaled and prawns should be shelled. You will have to declare these in the customs form. You can also bring your catch back. Australian customs should be consulted but you can normally bring back 5kg, thats a lot o lobster tails.

It is very hard to control how much gear to take. So I generally take lots. I am lucky that I have relos in Fiji and NZ. There is a lot of sinkers, lures, line, gaff and esky that I have spread out. Contact me if anyone wants to know where to buy terminals, lures and line in Fiji and what to expect in regards to range available.

Be carefull to only fish in hotel ownd shorline if doing it on your own as locals can get a bit weird about permisions and such in some places.

Hope this is of some help to anyone traveling.