Gel Spun Line On Beach Fishing Overhead Reels

kenmare

Hi Fishraiders,

I'm considering pressing my old ABU 7000 back into service, but spooling it with gel spun instead of the usual 15 lb to 22 lb mono.

I notice from recent comments posted that more than a few of you use gel spun Fireline on your ABUs when beach fishing.

I use Fireline on small threadlines for fishing softies, but have heard that inevitable over-runs and backlashes are difficult to tease out if you use gel spun on an overhead. Is this true?

Any tips and traps when using gel spun on overheads for beach fishing?

The ABU 7000 will be used with my FSU 4120. I'm thinking of using 120 yards (?) of 30 lb Fireline top-shotted over 20 lb mono, and a 30 lb mono shock leader, to cast lures (chromed, hard bodied and softies) and sinker and bait combinations in the 1 oz to 3 oz range.

How do you reckon that'd go?

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare

Guest danielinbyron

I just took my calcutta out yesterday it has braid and got a couple of overruns when i changed lures/weight .. But nothing too bad.. I seemed to be able to pull them out ok with the usual method of pulling loops back from the spool until i could tug the line free... I was a little more patient and less forceful I guess but I didn't lose any line..

Bob

No probs there...used exactly the same setup...just make sure you set up your braking friction. If your good with an overhead have it backed right off otherwise keep a bit of tension on to avoid over-runs. 30lb+ gel spun is much easier to de-tangle than lighter wieghts. I would use 20lb or 30lb off the beach..propbably 20lb for casting lures.

By the way I'm now using Javis Walkers Hercules...looks, feels and works like Fireline and I have'nt had a problem with it...$40 for 300m in *****. replaced all my reels with it.

Cheers

Chris

I've given up on my 7000 for casting - just can't seem to stop the bloody o/run. Spooled with 20kg braid this reel has now been relegated to the boat and married to a 7' 4.5 - 7 kg ugly stik for bottom bashing and trolling.

Back to the good 'ol Alvey 650 star drag for the beach - Long live the salt water rinse!!

I've given up on my 7000 for casting - just can't seem to stop the bloody o/run. Spooled with 20kg braid this reel has now been relegated to the boat and married to a 7' 4.5 - 7 kg ugly stik for bottom bashing and trolling.

Back to the good 'ol Alvey 650 star drag for the beach - Long live the salt water rinse!!

Hi Tuffy,

The ABU 7000, particularly the red model which has bushes instead of bearings, is one of the best casting reels available.

To tame your reel do this:

1. Undo the screws holding the side plate to release it, then check that the maximum brake blocks are installed in the centrifugal brake mechanism (if not, ensure you add extras needed).

2. Oil the bushes or bearings (if you have a "C" model reel) with heavy (SAE 50 to 90) automotive engine or gear box oil, then reassemble reel.

3. Adjust spool tension screw at side of reel so when spool is released the lure or sinker falls slowly to the ground.

With your reel set up like that it's almost impossible to have an overrun.

As you gain confidence you may want to cast greater distances. To do this just reduce the number of brake blocks, use lighter oil and less spool tension.

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare

Ken - braid is pretty much the only line the barra fishermen up north use to spool their baitcasters, certainly the only line I've ever spooled my calcuttas with over the past ten years. You get over-runs, sure, but they're no harder to pull out than mono (and in some cases easier since the line isn't destroyed by a tight knot).

I wouldn't spool an overhead destined for casting with anything else these days.

Thanks,Bob, it is the red one, mate. But where do I get the bushes from? I didn't know that there were different bushes for different applications with this reel.

you're right, they are a pearler of a reel but the frustration has set in.

Russ

Thanks,Bob, it is the red one, mate. But where do I get the bushes from? I didn't know that there were different bushes for different applications with this reel.

you're right, they are a pearler of a reel but the frustration has set in.

Russ

Hi Tuffy,

The bushes are built into your reel -- the spool spindle runs on them. The "C" model ABUs (like in 7000C) run instead on bearings (which contain ball bearings). Bearings are supposed to last longer than bushes as there's less wear.

But I suspect you are really referring to the brake blocks, that are part of the spool braking mechanism?

If so, then when you remove the side plate from your reel you can't help but see them -- they are tiny plastic sleeves and there can be up to four fitted.

Provided they haven't fallen off the steel prongs of the mechanism and been lost when you last pulled your reel apart. They can just fall off, which may be why you're having casting problems.

Consult the user guide which comes with all ABU reels to see how the mechanism works.

Spare brake blocks are usually supplied with a new reel. If you no longer have them, a visit to any good tackle shop (or failing that a phone call to the ABU Garcia distributor) should see the problem overcome.

Regards,

Bob

Edited by kenmare

I think using Braid for beach fishing is great, less wind resistance, less drag by wave and current action, greater line capacity, better casting distances, but one thing you should be aware of particularly with summer around the corner is that Bluebottles stick to braid like superglue, If you intend to fish with an onshore blowing in summer I suggest that you have a spare spool loaded up with mono, I learnt the hard way one evening last year when the blubottles were thick and I actually only got my line halfway wound in before the blueys clogged the tip runner on my rod, I had to manually remove them and all the others stuck to my line before I could get my line back onto my spool, with stings all over my hands and arms it made a quit painful hour or so before I could get home, and on the way I absent mindedly wiped my mouth and ended up with stings around my lips on my tongue and in my gob, a liberal dousing with vinegar at home provided some relief as did a couple of amber anaesthetics. Beware.

It was my first cast after a 40min walk to some good water off some beach rocks, quite a forgettable fishing outing.