Sydney Harbour Remora Or Cobia. And Penguins 23/10

zen801

Question

I hope that i am not a total fool and have called this fish wrong. In fact i really dont know please advise fishraiders.

Left from roseville about 8am with a mate from Adelaide who basically has never fished before. Went out to Quarantine but it was totally dead. Decided to do a drift around harbour entrance and managed a flounder , ray and nice flattie about 50cm. Then to our surprise after a short little struggle this lost little Remora took a pillie. Got him into the boat for a quick pic then back into the water. He darted off without any hesitation.

Whilst drifting we saw about three separate groups of penguins with about 3 to 4 in each group. They looked pretty happy and we could tell they were doing better than us with the fish. At one stage we looked down at the side of the boat and there was a bait ball of fish about 1.5m round getting herded by the penguins who were taking turns to help themselves.

Good short little fishing trip. Ps. I thought it was a cobia at first until fellow fishraiders pointed me in the right direction.

post-2060-1161577753_thumb.jpg

Edited by zenman

I read a funny story once about a guy who decided to fillet a Remora and cook it to see if they were any good. He had a crowd around him as the others on the boat had never filleted fish before, he was a little disconcerted to see them backing away as he filletted the fish. He then decided to open the stomach contents and human faeces fell out hence the people backing away ( guy filleting must have been upwind). He then surmised the fish had been camping out under someones boat eating the sewage as it was ejected from the boat. The poor guy could smell it on him for days and the boat stunk for weeks.

Don't quote me on the exact details and I can't remember if I read it on the web or in a mag, however I would be wary about the table qualities of Remora.

Cheers

Evil

Edited by Evil