Green Weed Or Cabbage

ophet

Hi,

Seeing there have been a lot of reports on the net about catching Blackfish, it has stirred my passion for luderick fishing. I used to do a lot of luderick fishing when I was younger, around the Georges, and used to get my weed from a number of sources (mainly at Kelso Park) in the west.

Having moved to the northern suburbs, I was wondering whether anyone could provide tips on where I can gather green weed or cabbage for the occasional luderick fishing?

Cheers.

Hi,

Seeing there have been a lot of reports on the net about catching Blackfish, it has stirred my passion for luderick fishing. I used to do a lot of luderick fishing when I was younger, around the Georges, and used to get my weed from a number of sources (mainly at Kelso Park) in the west.

Having moved to the northern suburbs, I was wondering whether anyone could provide tips on where I can gather green weed or cabbage for the occasional luderick fishing?

Cheers.

This time of year can be a bit hard for getting weed. The sun gets into it and bleaches it off a bit!! Some of the rock platforms worth trying are Mona vale, Narrabeen, The southern end of Little Narrabeen. I am told that narrabeen lake is holding a bit of silky stuff. Try the back of the lake down on wakehurst parkway. The sand flats between Bayview and Church point have been known to hold a bit (at low tide is best) though you have to look pretty hard.

Bear in mind if you are fishing the rocks the blackfish prefer ocean type weed, and if you are fishing the estauries, they prefer weed from that location where you are fishing. I am a mad luderick fisherman in winter up at the entrance but it was a pretty crap year this season.

Good luck and keep on fishing

This time of year can be a bit hard for getting weed. The sun gets into it and bleaches it off a bit!! Some of the rock platforms worth trying are Mona vale, Narrabeen, The southern end of Little Narrabeen. I am told that narrabeen lake is holding a bit of silky stuff. Try the back of the lake down on wakehurst parkway. The sand flats between Bayview and Church point have been known to hold a bit (at low tide is best) though you have to look pretty hard.

Bear in mind if you are fishing the rocks the blackfish prefer ocean type weed, and if you are fishing the estauries, they prefer weed from that location where you are fishing. I am a mad luderick fisherman in winter up at the entrance but it was a pretty crap year this season.

Good luck and keep on fishing

Thanks DV8, I had an inkling that Narabeen Lake would have some weed. I might have to suss it out and find where the good weed is mostly located. I agree that you should try to get the weed from where you will be fishing, but I will most probably be fishing from a boat, so it would be most convenient to get the bait beforehand.

From what I have read, the luderick season in Sydney has been fantastic, you should head down here for a session or two.

Does anyone know what whether blackfish are susceptable to pollution? From what I have read, it seems they do better then bream etc, ie they do not have as many pollutants in them. This is strange, given that they eat the weed on the ocean rocks/floor, which I assume would contain built up pollutants or filter them.

The dioxin contamination in Sydney harbour is in the silt/mud on the ocean floor. The species most directly affected by it is the sydney harbour prawn, and the dioxin is then passed up the food chain indirectly to the local prawn eaters, i.e. Bream, Flathead and Squid. Flathead and flounder also frequent the ocean floor and therefore are probably getting a bit of contamination directly from the source, as well as through the prawns they eat.

I have not heard anything about there being significant dioxin contamination of green weed and, given the need for this weed to grow in sunlight - ergo near to the surface, I am reasonably confident that it would be contamination-free. As such, the blackfish should be reasonably contamination free as well (although they have been known to eat prawns on occasion)

I'm no expert though so this is all pure speculation.

Flattieman will probably be able to speculate more accurately than me!!!

Thanks DV8, I had an inkling that Narabeen Lake would have some weed. I might have to suss it out and find where the good weed is mostly located. I agree that you should try to get the weed from where you will be fishing, but I will most probably be fishing from a boat, so it would be most convenient to get the bait beforehand.

From what I have read, the luderick season in Sydney has been fantastic, you should head down here for a session or two.

Does anyone know what whether blackfish are susceptable to pollution? From what I have read, it seems they do better then bream etc, ie they do not have as many pollutants in them. This is strange, given that they eat the weed on the ocean rocks/floor, which I assume would contain built up pollutants or filter them.

Girella tricuspidata (Blackfish) seems to actually benefit from pollution. That is the amount of phosphate run off from detergents and fertilisers crates blooms of algae which are the food for our beloved blackfish. They seem to be a fairly adaptable species of fish and not even the pros can Knock them around. They just keep coming back year after year.

hope this helps

Davo