Catching Squid.

costello

Hello Raiders.

As a new member i'd just like to say how much i love your guy's work. I read your reports regularly and find these forums my number one source of information and what's on the bite.

I'm 28 years, from Sydney and have recently purchased a 16ft Carribean half cabin with a 75hp Merc' on the back. I'm well keen to start fishing for Kingies and although i have a live bait tank setup in the boat for yellowtail and slimies, squidding seems like the obvious number one choice for these awesome sport fish. I have picked up bits and piece's of information here and there but would prefer to here first hand any tips and pointers anyone could offer (barring secret locations of course fella's). I know they can be inconsistent creatures to catch but any tips like colours of jigs that work or tides or times of day would be extremely helpful. I do the bulk of my fishing up Pittwater, Barrenjoey way, although often venture into Sydney Harbour as well.

Cheers,

Costa.

Guest IFishSick.

The most common technique for Squidding is just to cast out. Lift the rod tip then let it sink to the bottom. The squid will usually hit on the drop. You do not need to "Strike" but just apply and keep pressure on the squid.

Another helpful tip is to have another one or two on hand lines trailing behind the boat while drifting. Cast around those every now and then as some may follow the jigs closely.

Ryan

Guest IFishSick.

The jigs have the weights attatched to them. The more expensive jigs will have better placed and shaped weights so that the jig drops slower and works more realistic. No you do not have to attatch weights