Lake Glenbawn

Brian

G'day Raiders,

Thanks to all, for your warm welcomes. I'll take onboard those tips and look forward to a few days on the Harbour next week. I must have given away too much info in my intro. I was only 6yo in 1973 so please go easy on "the old days" stuff. :biggrin2:

This is a bit old but, I'll give you all an insight to a recent trip to Lake Glenbawn in the last school holidays. Left Barraba on Monday of the October long weekend and arrived about lunch time. We were really surprised at how many people weren't there. There had been a big Bass comp over the weekend but, all the fisho's had all but gone. We had a cabin booked and our friends arrived later. The facilities there are great, with parks and playgrounds for the kids, a kiosk and pretty reasonable self contained cabins with all the mod cons. Bait is avaiable at the kiosk as well as fuel, ice, tackle and other incidentals. Just needs a pontoon or someway of being able to get in and out for a swim without walking in the mud.

My mate and I put the boat in on the Tuesday morning. As is always the case, the day before was hot with virtually no wind. Next morning a howling southerly but what can you do? We were there so in we went.

Still not up to full speed with the freshwater stuff so stuck to using baits about the exposed timber. In a 2 hour arvo session we managed only 2 yellow belly (about 45cm) and one bass (37cm), pretty :biggrin2: though. All taken on yabbies and worms. Tried some trolling but had no luck. Very deep water in most parts. Need one of thoses fancy downriggers.

The following morning we put in again and took our two young fellas, both aged 6. Again tried some trolling with no success. Dropped in some baits again with only one small yellow. The kids got a bit restless so headed in for lunch. Managed to convince the wives to let Dave and I head out again on our own. Tried some more timber with a few bigger fish, mostly yellows and another nice Bass of 39cm. We watched a few blokes away from us who were tied up to the bank, a cliff really and they were casting out baits as if the they were fishing off the bank. Fish after fish came in. Needless to say we were a bit :1yikes: . We had enough to keep the :wife: happy so headed in looking to try again the next day. Got back to the ramp and couldn't find my winch handle. I knew it was on the trailer when I parked it because I was thinking I should put that in the boot, it's a removable one and I'd left it in the post of the trailer. After much :ranting2: I found another one lying in the grass. Seems that some twirp had lost his so he took mine. No problem if he was in a spot of bother but he could have put it back. Just lucky I found his. :mad3:

Next morning off again this time with the two kids on board protesting all the way about how bored they were yesterday. Got back out to where the other blokes were the day before and had it to ourselves. Tied up and rigged up for the kids. A yabbie on one and a cocktail of worms and a prawn for the other. Set the drags, cast out and organised the seats for the kids. We settled in for what turned out to be a great session. The kids didn't even get to think about a whine when bang, little Pete was on. After much Dad Dad Dad up came a great yellow about 50cm, a real thumper. Barely in the net and my bloke, Sam calling I've got one! The reel was screaming and he did a great job with his lift and wind. Up came another about the same size. :thumbup: We couldn't have had a better script. No wanting to head home for these two juniors.

Baited up again, same cast and setlled in. No more than 5 minutes both kids on again. This went on for the whole morning with both kids landing about 6 great fish each, all yellows around the 50cm mark and a nice Bass of 43cm. Needless to say Dave and I were proud as punch. The kids were working well as a team doing there own striking, winding and netting for eachother. We used our live bait tank to keep a couple of fish on board and just swapped the bigger ones over as they came in. Only needed 4 fish to feed both families and they were so sweet to eat.

At present Lake Glenbawn is at 35% capacity which is low but, still 100% of its old capacity before it was raised. It is still a very big dam and the water is a lovely clear deep green colour. No problems with any aglea. The temp was cold at about 16 degrees. Many blokes we spoke to had been there for a few days and not turned a bait so I'm not sure if we hit the right buttons or just got lucky. It was good enough for us to already start planning our next trip. I have a mate who now lives in Singapore and travels the world for his work. He always takes a few days to fish in each country and has just about fished every continent on the planet and taken some amazing fish. I told him about our trip and he rates Lake Glenbawn as one of his top 5 spots anywhere in the world. That might seem a bit far fetched but I can vouch for his prowess with a rod and reel.

Tight lines

Brian P.

Great report, very enjoyable. Isn't it great when the kids are getting them like that. :yahoo:

I haven't yet been there; alomst went last year but something came up, but you have got me thinking about it again. Going to Windamere in 2 weeks but maybe Glenbawn might be the next place after that. Have to start working on the :wife:

Great report, very enjoyable. Isn't it great when the kids are getting them like that. :yahoo:

I haven't yet been there; alomst went last year but something came up, but you have got me thinking about it again. Going to Windamere in 2 weeks but maybe Glenbawn might be the next place after that. Have to start working on the :wife:

Mate it is great when the kids get into it like that. I was 15 before I caught fish that good.