Electric Motors

Guest DV8

i am thinking about getting an electric.

What is the difference between th thousand dollar one and the 300 dollar ones??

My boat is a 13 ft alluminium with a 15 hp Yamaha. I will be using it both in freshand salt water.

If anyone has one on their boat (of similar size) can you tell me the model number so I can start sourcing and pricing.

Cheers raiders

Davo

I have had several electric motors and they are great. You got to decide whether you want a transom mount or a bow mount. Transom mounted electrics are way cheaper as they are like your tiller steered outboard. Just bolt it on the back or front and you steer as you would normally. I have a 55lb rip tide electric on my trailcraft. Pushes it enough to reposition the boat when squidding.

Bow mounts are far better as you can turn your boat faster and have better control but you need to have space up front for mounts. These things are great as you can control things remotely with a foot control but are more expensive. IF you are going in salt water don't muck around with the cheap fresh water versions as they go bad real quick.

I think minn kota are great but Motorguide have a more efficient prop.CHeers Kelvin

I have had several electric motors and they are great. You got to decide whether you want a transom mount or a bow mount. Transom mounted electrics are way cheaper as they are like your tiller steered outboard. Just bolt it on the back or front and you steer as you would normally. I have a 55lb rip tide electric on my trailcraft. Pushes it enough to reposition the boat when squidding.

Bow mounts are far better as you can turn your boat faster and have better control but you need to have space up front for mounts. These things are great as you can control things remotely with a foot control but are more expensive. IF you are going in salt water don't muck around with the cheap fresh water versions as they go bad real quick.

I think minn kota are great but Motorguide have a more efficient prop.CHeers Kelvin

Kelvin

If I bought a transom mount motor do you reckon I would get the shits and wish that i had gone the extra dollars and bought the bow mount??

Davo

I have a 43lb moterguide bowmount on the front of my 12ft tinnie and I wouldnt be without it

It is cable steer which I prefer for its direct control as it suits the way I fish

Ive put an anode on the shaft to combat corrosion and it gets washed with the boat after use and sprayed with inox every month or so no signs of any corrosion yet and its 3.5yrs old It cost roughly half the price of a minnkota 55lb riptide

Kelvin

If I bought a transom mount motor do you reckon I would get the shits and wish that i had gone the extra dollars and bought the bow mount??

Davo

I have used bow mounts and transom mounts and for the type of fishing I do ( mostly kings and squid ) have not noticed too much drama. But if you are going to be a fanatical lure tosser for bream and such a bow mount is the way to go for sure. But I know lots of guys here in the parramatta river chasing bream who only have transom mounts. THe saved money can be spent on a good outfit.Cheers KElvin

Hi,

I reckon the bow mount is definitely the way to go. much easier to control the boats position and also more efficent when a motr pulls a bota rather than pushing it. The foot controls definitely help with freeing up the hands for fighting a fish or casting.

You then gotta choose either direct/cable steer or the remote/autopilot system, the 2nd one is one i'm more used to.

The more expensive units have a maximiser, which delivers power in thrusts/stop/thrust pattern to conserve battery power as well.

The 24volt or 36 volt units are better than the 12 volt units as they drain less power (amps) for the same thrust.

so yeah, there is a few things to consider. I reckon go the minnkota riptide, you wont regret it.

Cheers,

Huey