Backbones And Spirals

XTR

hi everyone iam about to build up a new heavy LBG stick,the blank iam building it on has a Dual Helix ply construction ,dose any one have any thoughts on finding a backbone on blanks made this way ,

the second question is to the ones out there that use spiral wraps how do you think a LBG stick would go made up as spiral wrap ?

thanks for any thoughts and feed back

Leigh

hi everyone iam about to build up a new heavy LBG stick,the blank iam building it on has a Dual Helix ply construction ,dose any one have any thoughts on finding a backbone on blanks made this way ,

the second question is to the ones out there that use spiral wraps how do you think a LBG stick would go made up as spiral wrap ?

thanks for any thoughts and feed back

Leigh

Leigh

I personally wouldnt worry too much about finding the backbone, just build it on its straightest axis so it doesnt look bent. Tape the guides on different axis and check for yourself if that blank is affected

As for a spiral LBG, I have neve built one but I imagine that the benefits of the spiral config should really shine. You will be able to get away with less guides so a cost saving if you are using premium items, rod will be stabilised when fighting fish so you wont be fighting rollover.

Let me know how it worked out. Or better still come over to the workshop and we can both play with it :thumbup:

Leigh

I personally would worry too much about finding the backbone, just build it on its straightest axis so it doesnt look bent. Tape the guides on different axis and check for yourself if that blank is affected

As for a spiral LBG, I have never built one but I imagine that the benefits of the spiral config should really shine. You will be able to get away with less guides so a cost saving if you are using premium items, rod will be stabilised when fighting fish so you wont be fighting rollover.

Let me know how it worked out. Or better still come over to the workshop and we can both play with it :thumbup:

Thanks for the offer and your views ,ill find your work shop addresses and make time to come down to see you .

the blank is good and straight so any axis is possible ,Ive only played with spirals look for more distance on the competition field opposed to fishing use ,i can see the benefits of having a heavy stand up lbg stick with no rolling in the blank ,

regards Leigh

Is that a GUSA blank you are building on? If so, what are your impressions of the blank? I was considering getting one of these a little while ago.

the only thing I would recommend is starting the spiral early, even positioning the stripper guide closer to the reel seat. The one thing I worry about with Spirals is that the first 180 degree guide does not contact the line when the rod is under load (hence a larger burden on the rest of the blank). If the blank is a fast action, then it wouldn't matter as much, but I like to know that where the blank is bending that all the guides in this region are coming into play to distribute the load.

yep its a gusa SW70XXH ,i have a few others as well ,they are very powerful blanks

i had play with guide spacing spiral set up today while i killed some time .iam getting it up to run 24 plus kg with max drag of 10 kg as any more on the rocks is asking for trouble , it easly dead lifts 10 kg in test i did to day

i have gone for a simple bumper wrap with a 10 tip and 6 no 10s on the bottom of the blank a no 10 or 12 bumper guide at 90 dregges and a 25 striper. i believe Ive got the line to flow to the natural curve of the blank at different stages of compression,the first no 10 guide after the the 90 dregg bumper is set as Switzerland , any thoughts on this are more than welcome as this is my first spiral set up for fishing not distance

regards Leigh

Edited by Leigh

yep its a gusa SW70XXH ,i have a few others as well ,they are very powerful blanks

i had play with guide spacing spiral set up today while i killed some time .iam getting it up to run 24 plus kg with max drag of 10 kg as any more on the rocks is asking for trouble , it easly dead lifts 10 kg in test i did to day

i have gone for a simple bumper wrap with a 10 tip and 6 no 10s on the bottom of the blank a no 10 or 12 bumper guide at 90 dregges and a 25 striper. i believe Ive got the line to flow to the natural curve of the blank at different stages of compression,the first no 10 guide after the the 90 dregg bumper is set as Switzerland , any thoughts on this are more than welcome as this is my first spiral set up for fishing not distance

regards Leigh

The bumper system is a good way to go :thumbup: . Play with a size 8 for the bumper and experiment with a low frame guide as well. All it needs to do is hold the line clear of the blank. Have a think about uping the size on a couple of guides after the bumper. Bigger guides have more metal in the frame and stress on the guides are higher in the stiffer section of the blank.

Does the 25 degree offset stripper make it difficult to feed the line onto the reel at all? I haven't had any exerience with offset stripper guides, but I imagine it would help to get the spiral out of the way much quicker.

What reel are you matching it with? The only concern I would have is if it is a wide spool, it may become a pain in the butt feeding the line onto the spool!

Does the 25 degree offset stripper make it difficult to feed the line onto the reel at all? I haven't had any exerience with offset stripper guides, but I imagine it would help to get the spiral out of the way much quicker.

What reel are you matching it with? The only concern I would have is if it is a wide spool, it may become a pain in the butt feeding the line onto the spool!

I think he meant a size 25 stripper but you might be correct. Offset strippers can be put to great use to always push the line to one side of the reel so you only have to thumb up. Takes a fair bit of experimenting to get it right and may not work with another reel that well

iam running a 25 guide as a stripper not off set at 25 dreeges,ive looked at offsets but iam still up in the air with that ,

the reel is a LX Avet 2 speed with 800 of 60 lbs braid ,this whole set up weighs 970 grams

iam about to have play with a few larger guides as Saga suggestered.guides iam using are ICMNSG

the other thing iam still looking at is spiral left or right at this time right has more going for ( it any thoughts)

regards Leigh

I agree with Saqa, spiral on the side of the handle, especially on the stones, you want to protect the bumper guide. I was thinking though, it probably wouldn't matter what size the bumper is. It's generally accepted that the smallest possible guide be used, but I don't think it makes a difference to the spiral. As long as it is low profile it shouldn't matter. I only say this because IF you are passing a heavy leader knot, you would want a slightly larder ring. Are you using hollowcore spectra? If so, it doesn't really matter I guess...

Size 25 stripper, I see! Sorry, my mistake. Overall, sounds like a sweet setup. You'll have to let us know how it performs. The Avet is a nice reel. Are you planning on chasing Marlin, cause that's a lot of 60lb braid!

its a rod that is been built to stop what ever takes the bait ,i do use hollow braid so knots dont come into it ,

the main aim is to stop big fish and be able to be taken on most trips with very little accessoires with the whole lbg kit under 2 kgs as i spin most days off the rocks ,so a under 2 kgs it will not impact on my spin kit as i move around a few ledges with some very good water for big baits ,

Leigh

this is where iam at trying to get the curve of the guides to give the smothest run thru the spiral and guides with load in the right place's ,rod has 14kgs of loan hanning on it

dcp02688js4.jpg

dcp02687oe9.jpg

Edited by Leigh