Blackfish Weed

johnd

I am ready for a summer of flathead and lazy drifting BUT I am still thinking of catching blackfish next winter. I have been buying my weed BUT I really want to be able to get it myself. With the help of swordfisherman and other raiders I have advanced a long way with my blackfish skills, but not the bait gathering. At the blackfish social one of the fishraiders told me to use some kind of improvised grappling hook and pull it throught the water? Probable locations are Kelso creek or homebush bay but I thought I would ask for a little more detail from someone on how they get the weed. I have known how to find the sea cabbage off the rocks since I was a kid but I have never seen anybody take this green weed from the creeks etc. Anybody help me with a demo even?

I am ready for a summer of flathead and lazy drifting BUT I am still thinking of catching blackfish next winter. I have been buying my weed BUT I really want to be able to get it myself. With the help of swordfisherman and other raiders I have advanced a long way with my blackfish skills, but not the bait gathering. At the blackfish social one of the fishraiders told me to use some kind of improvised grappling hook and pull it throught the water? Probable locations are Kelso creek or homebush bay but I thought I would ask for a little more detail from someone on how they get the weed. I have known how to find the sea cabbage off the rocks since I was a kid but I have never seen anybody take this green weed from the creeks etc. Anybody help me with a demo even?

John.

Don't buy weed. The thing that makes luderick fishing the best is that it doesn't involve boats and overhead reels, braid and all that other fancy crap. The only advice i can give you is to find your weed as close to the spot you are fishing as possible. That is why the fish are there. To eat THAT weed!! Yeah you will get fish on non-local stuff but you will clean up on the real McCoy. Look for other luderick fishos on wharves etc and approach them but leave all your gear at home. Have a chat with them, laugh at all their jokes and before long you will know every weed collecting spot from Parramatta to Swansea. Its amazing though how threatened they feel if you have a rod in your hand.

The Parramatta River Weed is renowned weed NSW over. Begin looking at low tide and the Concord bridge is a good place to start. Many years ago when I first started luderick fishing, I would often spend as much time in a week lokking for new weed spots than I would actually fishing. Finding a good supply of good weed is as exiting as catching good fish. Weird but true!!

I just love hearing about guys getting into blackfish. I fish the undisputed "MECCA" of luderick fisheries - Tuggerah lakes. If you are still online next winter give us a hyoller and I will show you the sort of fishing most guys only dream of.

Cheeers

davo

Thanks Davo,

I have been looking at areas around tempe (cooks river) while on my bike and I got some weed a couple of days ago. It look a little different to Kelso weed and when I tried some, the fish seeemed to get it off too easily (even with a half hitch)

My inexperience is just in where to look. Drag something through the deeper water or look on walls etc, but I am learning from watching and looking just as you said. Next winter we will have a session for sure.

But this Saturday I might forget the blackfish and try for flathead in the bay.

cheers

Guest IFishSick.

Aswell.... When you find the weed, keep it to yourself as it won't last long if you tell everyone where you get it. They will ruin the fun for you :wife:

I understand the way things are. I was just asking for tips on technique rather than the location of anyones personal weed gathering spot. Since I got hooked on blackfish this year I always look for weed when I am near creeks etc. But being uneducated I thought it lie around to be picked up. Don't laugh...

I have come a long way in a year and next winter I'll expect to take a few reasonable size blackfish home, not just the minimums I catch now.

It is a shame that some people take too much and that they exploit it to make a few dollars but thats a fact of life around Sydney. Thanks for the advice.