Bream Hooks

Yaulpang

G'day all,

Hope you managed a fish over the weekend. Lately (for the past year) I've been using circle hooks for my bream fishing. The brand I like is black magic. the model is KL in 1/0 size. These mostly hook the bream in the mouth and minimizes hooking them deep.

After reading a book by Starlo and Bushy, I flattened the hook's barb with pliers last night and proceeded to catch and release with much greater ease.

I fish the upper p'matta river (Hen and Chicken, Iron Cove and pyrmont) and mostly release the fish so using these hooks are a great way of maximising the fishes' survival (I hope).

BTW I was fishing Hen and Chicken bay on the run in tide using chicken breast and burleyed with stale bread.

Caught lots of 25cm models, one 30cm and a monster of an eel.

Cheers,

Paul

post-738-1162807695_thumb.jpg

Guest danielinbyron

Good on ya bloke ... :thumbup: I will post a letter re releasing fish..{ from a fish pathologist } but the gist of the letter is that its best to have wet hands , hold the fish firm and cause the least disruption to its slime coat.

releasing fish post letter and links

Edited by danielinbyron

Great idea! Anything to reduce damage to a fish that you intend to release gets a big :thumbup:

That is what I love about nailing a fish on plastics, even on normal jigheads. Becuase of the way a plastic rides 95% of the fish I catch are pinned through the top of the mouth making for a very easy release.

Cheers,

Grant.

We used to use the KL hooks, as well as the octopus circles by gamakatsu on our bottom bashing patternosters, just leave the rod in the rod holder...... great hooks, I have heard they are also a good livebait hook too.

Guest johblow

Sorry to digress - i just wanted to say what a beautiful part of the harbour that area is around balmain, with the lovely sandstone rocks and small islands n stuff. Every time i drive past it i think i should spend a day out just cruising around there... It really is nice.