Jew On After Ray?

Guest danielinbyron

Guest danielinbyron

I've recently started bait fishing for jew a bit more..{easy fishing for old fellas}

My ? is .

Has anyone ever caught a Jew land based from the same spot they've hooked a ray or shark earlier in that session....

The reason i ask is a local legend said that if he gets a ray or dog shark he moves on , that if there were jew there they'd find the bait ,{ usually a fist full of worms +tailor or squid or ocky}.. first..

Spinning with hbs or sps illiminates bicatch like this and thats how i've got the majority of my fish...It can be hard work but.. and no good on the Arthur itis. Also the area i'm inclined to fish is a great habitat for rays and sharks.

So in attempt to verify or negate this phenomena{allot less painfully} i thought i'd put it to the panel.

Have you caught a jew after a shark or ray??

1. 10kg jew next bait and 10min after a 3ft whaler. bugger all bites before hooking the whaler so i figured if the gutter's ok for noahs should be ok for jew (tide was just past mid-flood and gutter was looking better)

2. 18kg jew about 20min after one of those blind sharks. gutter i was fishing had broken reef nearby so not a surprise with the shark.

3. we get jew in amongst plenty of rays/wobbys/jacko's/shovellys/whalers etc etc at one of our rock spots.

Guest danielinbyron

cheers mate ... when i get rays i keep gettin them and when i've baited and got a jew.... no rays... this is good to hear as i've wondered wether its worth persisting after hooking up doggies or rays.....

cheers mate ... when i get rays i keep gettin them and when i've baited and got a jew.... no rays... this is good to hear as i've wondered wether its worth persisting after hooking up doggies or rays.....

no reason why the jews wouldn't be there when all the other poo is around. only time i'd be getting rays etc and 99% confident the jews arent around is if its's dead flat or close to. we have caught other poo species too when conds are like that - sand crabs, big puffers and dirty big catfish where they shouldnt be!

We often pull Jew & Sharks from the same gutter on the beach. Last Feb We had a night where we caught 5 Whalers & 3 Jew + a couple of Tailor. I've also caught rays & Jew in the same night. Sure keeps you on your toes when the rod goes off. Bloody hate the dissapointment when you realise it's brown though! :ranting2:

Cheers,

Grant.

P.S Welcolme to the dark side Daniel. Glad to see you join the old mans club! :074:

Daniel,

In august i got an 8kg jew from Long reef sydney from the beach on a salmon fillet.

About 1 hour before that one of our group lost what he thought was a ray. Hed know as hes caught plenty of big jews from the beach. Came back to same spot two weeks later and we got big bream 1.3kg then a huge salmon. A guy fishing about 50 m away from us got a 6kg jew then within 15 mins my mate hooked onto either a ray or shark. It was probably a ray as he simply couldnt get onto the sand. Once in my boat in Middle Harbour we were catching Port Jackson sharks then we got a jewie but lost within site due to tangle with other several lines.

I reckon its a good sign when sharks or rays are about. All the best!