Leaders

troutboy

Hi all raiders , Have just taken up flyfishing and have spent the day with Jeff Brown getting some casting lessons and can now comfortably cast 50 to 60ft. I have been using commercially available tapered leaders to date but would like to tie my own, do any raiders have any recipies for freshwater leaders for trout preferably 9ft in length? Is there any particular mono to use that turn over freshwater flies better than others? Look forward to your input. cheers troutboy :1fishing1:

Trout Boy,

I have been flyfishing for about 3yrs mostly for trout and can't realy see any value in tying your own leaders. I generally use RIO 'Trout" 5X leaders because i like the long butt section that helps turn over weighted flies (bead heads ect.). From that i simply attach my tippet usually two feet of SA 4lb for streams, or 6lb Rio Fluro for dams. One leader usually lasts me about 40hrs of fishing so i don't go though that many in a season mabye two or three. Tippet rolls usually about 2 per season.

However if you do want to tie your own, use mason hard nylon for the butt (3ft), then use probably two more sections (2ft each) of smaller diameter mono, then end in tippet.

Problem is lots of knots that catch all kinds of crap, not to mention wind resistance.

Trust me companies go to great length to produce perfectly tapered leaders and they work great.

Cheers

BM

Trout Boy,

I have been flyfishing for about 3yrs mostly for trout and can't realy see any value in tying your own leaders. I generally use RIO 'Trout" 5X leaders because i like the long butt section that helps turn over weighted flies (bead heads ect.). From that i simply attach my tippet usually two feet of SA 4lb for streams, or 6lb Rio Fluro for dams. One leader usually lasts me about 40hrs of fishing so i don't go though that many in a season mabye two or three. Tippet rolls usually about 2 per season.

However if you do want to tie your own, use mason hard nylon for the butt (3ft), then use probably two more sections (2ft each) of smaller diameter mono, then end in tippet.

Problem is lots of knots that catch all kinds of crap, not to mention wind resistance.

Trust me companies go to great length to produce perfectly tapered leaders and they work great.

Cheers

BM

Cheers Bream Mad, I might take your advice and stick to the commercially available tapered leaders for now! thanks troutboy :1fishing1: