What Boat?

KingsRule

Hey guys, just got my boat liicence so , we have decided to get a boat.

As size is an issue we are think of getting the quintrex 385 explorer trophy as its the max size that we can fit in our garage. (5m on trailer)

We will be pretty much always in the harbour.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for any other boats around that size or any reasons not to go with the explorer trophy.

(hopefully that makes sense :wacko: )

Thanks alot.

Guest IFishSick.

Have a ponder through ebay if you like, got plenty of small boats just like the one you are after. But yes, they are second hand.

i had this same problem.

make sure you measure the boat on the trailer, most quintrex boats up to 4.75 are sold on the same trailer. and you can get a bigger boat that has the same "length on trailer" (have a close look at the quintrex and stacer brochures)

i was looking at a 3.75 boat but ended up getting a 4.3m as there is not much difference on the trailer.

also you may want to look at a specialy made trailer with a hingded tow arm (not sure what they call that!!) but it may save you a couple of feet.

also have a look at the boat on the trailer, and see if you can make any adjustments to shorten it, i moved my boat/winch a good 30cm up the trailer no probs. :thumbup:

then think to yourself 3.75m, 4m, 4.2m 4.3m whats the difference???? only 55cm but a whole lot more fun!!!!! :yahoo:

now you just got to convince the :wife:

On checking web site on quintrex model you are purchasing I can

only comment on my past experience on fishing Sydney Harbour

the swell and chop genearated inside the heads is quite large at most

times because of traffic (Ferries Etc) . Not sure what you are paying

for new rig

but maybe if cost an issue then a Fibreglass 4.5 or 4.6m older model cuddy , still being able

to be towed by 4 clyinder car may be better option and also can get u outside on them

favourable days.

Just my 2 cents thanks Dave

Thanks for your quick reply's guys:)

Flattie man i will deffinatley check that out :biggrin2:

CaineS - i didnt know that so will have to go have a look :biggrin2:

dave -i dont think we will be doing that much around the heads unless the weather is good, didnt think of the boat traffic issue thanks for that.

Would it be a better idea to get a tinny like a 3.95 dart? being a abit deeper.

Thanks for your quick reply's guys:)

Flattie man i will deffinatley check that out :biggrin2:

CaineS - i didnt know that so will have to go have a look :biggrin2:

dave -i dont think we will be doing that much around the heads unless the weather is good, didnt think of the boat traffic issue thanks for that.

Would it be a better idea to get a tinny like a 3.95 dart? being a abit deeper.

Boat traffic and coinciding waves is a big issue in Sydney with Chop and Swell being bigger

inside then outside depending on where you go, but if your getting a neww boat then you

need to keep this in mnd

Im with Dave on this one , lotsa dickheads on the Harbour , with all that water , they MUST pass you at 20 Knots 3 metres away. :ranting2:

Most modern craft handle chop and swell reasonably well , metal boats can be a bit noisy , and they transmit vibration through the hull more than a 'glass boat. The other side of the coin , 'glass boats require a little more care than the metal boats , a chip in the gelcoat can be a bigger deal than a chip in the paint. They are also a bit heavier than a comparable sized metal boat .

I prefer fibreglass for the softer ride , no other reason.

You pays your money , and takes your choice ! :)

Ross

I too think that the harbour will be too much for a 385 hornet. Look for something with deeper hull - maybe a dory or coast runner.

also you may want to look at a specialy made trailer with a hingded tow arm (not sure what they call that!!) but it may save you a couple of feet.

= swingaway drawbar

Definitely you need a deeper hull for the harbour. This is one really shitty waterway when it comes to swell, chop and boat wakes...plus (recently) the wind. I find that outside the heads is much more pleasant than inside most of the time. Get the biggest meanest boat you can get! Cheers Kelvin