Levelwind On A Trolling Convetional Reel?

kilp

Hi all

I am wanting to purchase a new trolling rod and reel combo, I have too reels I really like they are level drag, which is what I want but they do not have levelwind, which is somthing I also want.

Is it that important to have levelwind? especially when you tangle with a big fish (which hopefully I will do one day) or not?

Its just that I see some very expensive reels without level wind, which for me dosnet make sence?

can someone please explain it to me

regards

kilp

Lever drags are far superior than star drags. They have more surface area and can dial in more pressure. They also dissipate heat much faster...so lever drags are :thumbup:

As for the level wind mechanism, some people like them and some don't. THe problem with level wind is that it is another piece of equipment that can break down. It is in contact with the line and is another part to cause friction.There can be issues with the level wind going out of sync with the line. ALso the line can get stuck in the level wind mechanism and break.

I find that in lighter line classes a level wind is an absolute...especially with braid. THin braid will cut through your skin to the bone when under tension.

On heavier tackle a level wind is not needed as you can easily guide the line via your hands especially with mono. I find that 50lb braid is OK on my Shimano Tyrnos. I am getting a Torsa and this reel also doesn't have a level wind mechanism but should be OK with 50-65 braid. I hope this helps. CHeers Kelvin

Guest danielinbyron

Level wind is not a sign of quality. By its mechanical nature , it's difficult to produce a level wind that can reliably withstand the speed and pressure of a large fast fish running , particularly after it's been treated with salt spray, hence they are generally omitted from bigger more serious gear.. However there are some manufacturers of models of lever drag trolling reels that claim total reliabilty of there level wind system such as the tld charter special.

I hope that makes sense.. d

Edited by danielinbyron

Level wind is not a sign of quality. By its mechanical nature its difficulty to produce a level wind that can reliably withstand the speed and pressure of a large fast fish running , particularly after its been treated with salt spray, hence they are omitted from bigger more serious gear.. However there are some manufacturers of models of lever drag trolling reels that claim total reliabilty of there level winds such as the tld charter special.

I hope that makes sense.. d

I have nothing but praise for the TLD charter special. I have 2 of them and they were the first reels that I have used for kingies. Never let me down. ALmost indestructable. Will probably be the only things left after a nuclear holocaust. They are down market but work superbly. Handles 50lb braid without probs. Dearer reels feel better but the charter special is a work horse...cheap and effective. Cheers Kelvin

Guest danielinbyron

You know what, i've never heard different from anyone Kelvin.

And i've seen some guys who put them througgh some tough work.

quote]I have nothing but praise for the TLD charter special

I agree also, the charter special is a great little reel, but the level wind on them is very flimsy.

I ended taking the level wind off mine, the spool is narrow, so its easy to feed the line with your thumb.

And once you have had a little practise feeding the line with your thumb it becomes second nature.

It seems like shimano hit on a winning design with the charter special. They were only available for charter operators at one time. These things can take a hit from a sherman tank and still survive. I know what you mean about the level wind being a bit flimsy but mine still works....one of my charter specials have been fully dunked in salt water 3 times and all I have done is wash it out when I got home. Works great. Can't think of a better value for money reel than this one. Cheers Kelvin