Your Dream Fishfinder

choad

Just wondering what's the best fishfinder on the market these days.

I'm about to buy a second hand boat for fishing coastal and want a fishfinder with maximum detail / sensitivity. Not too fussed about complexity as i use an ultrasound machine at work which runs on similar principles to radar (only on a smaller scale).

any advice would be much appreciated... even if directed to other threads which may put me on the right track.

thanks

:wacko:

There is no such thing as a "Best"fish finder. Some people swear by one brand and others think it is S^%T. Most fish finders work exactly the same. The costs involved in a fish finder depends on its output and screen size. Actually the screen size is a HUGE component in price. BUt with all things LCD screens are getting cheaper and cheaper.

If you want just the bottom information, then ANY fishfinder will do. IF you want to see sideways then there are units which can do this. There are also 3d units around. Normally you get what you pay for. Try the reputable brands. Some are definitely salt water orientated and others are not. CHeers Kelvin

Just wondering what's the best fishfinder on the market these days.

I'm about to buy a second hand boat for fishing coastal and want a fishfinder with maximum detail / sensitivity. Not too fussed about complexity as i use an ultrasound machine at work which runs on similar principles to radar (only on a smaller scale).

any advice would be much appreciated... even if directed to other threads which may put me on the right track.

thanks

:wacko:

Choad, also try using our SEARCH function as there have been many posts about fishfinders that may help you in your quest. Try looking through the boating section too :biggrin2:

Cheers mrsswordfisherman

mate you can spend over $10,000 on a fishfinder if you really want the best, probably burn a hole in the ocean floor too..... have you got a budget in mind?

$1000-2000.

screen size not that big a deal to me. i'm more interested in the coverage. Both depth, fine detail, and field of view.

There are a number of models in that range, The furuno, raymarine, koden, simrad and JRC units in that price range are all worth looking at. I would be starting with the model Big Banana has mentioned as its a fairly new realese and they're supposed to be pretty good. I'd be staying away from lowrances, humminbirds etc.... stick with the top brands.

There are a number of models in that range, The furuno, raymarine, koden, simrad and JRC units in that price range are all worth looking at. I would be starting with the model Big Banana has mentioned as its a fairly new realese and they're supposed to be pretty good. I'd be staying away from lowrances, humminbirds etc.... stick with the top brands.

thanks heaps.

you guys have given me a nice head start.

love this site.