Cape Byron Trevally

Ewan

Nice afternoon on the rock ledge down the lighthouse with a SE15 knot wind blowin up then droppen off every fifteen minutes for a few mins maken it quite pleasant. A sporadic 4-5ft southerly swell as well making for a nice marbly wash. Fished from 5pm to sunset getting three trevally about a half hour apart all on soft plastics.

Amazingly different fights for each fish the first the smallest of them got its head down and just bored left really bumping away with that particular trev energy, basically just held it with a firm drag and steered it back onto the sandy middle section. 2nd fish was bigger just gnarly and violent it gobbled the plastic about ten feet in front of the ledge and just yanked my arms down as I had the drag way tight after lifting the first fish.

Third one went immediately right and stripped about 15feet of braid off the TSS. Tightened drag and climbed to higher ground to try n lift it up and away from a wide plate shaped reef that I have lost fish under before. Got some line back and had the fish in a little washy area in the front. It toook off again and I was startin to think jew but then it came to the surface and I saw that it was another big slob trev.

Well lifted it, rod creaked, needed scissors to get the soft out of its throat an let it go. Kept the first two. Ate one asian style just now, teriaki chicken but without the hormones.

trevally-an-cat.jpg

dead plastics

plastics.jpg

Edited by Ewan

Mate,

Great Trevs. The cat looks hopeful. Are those tails on the sp's cut off or is that the way they are? I've had little to do with them, but they're all the go it seems. Takes the hassle out of bait.

Cheers,

Brian P.

Guest danielinbyron

got any shots of the area you fish for us sydney folk you're in another world up there.

G'day Mate .

Ewan took the shots that i posted a couple of weeks ago Lance... I'm going to try to talk him into going somewhere different this arvo, and bringing the camera...The weather here today for the first time in a long time, is shmick.

Mate,

Great Trevs. The cat looks hopeful. Are those tails on the sp's cut off or is that the way they are? I've had little to do with them, but they're all the go it seems. Takes the hassle out of bait.

Cheers,

Brian P.

Chomped by fish. They are fun to fish with and can be worked fast and shallow or deep.

do u know what species of trevally it is?

Not sure. I'd love to know they are great fish. Think it is a Great Trevally but maybe someone can tell me specifically?...

gtrevor.jpg

Tailor damage?

Flatulance..??

Where to this arvo..???

They certainly are nutrious!!

Guest danielinbyron

the tsunamis are stronger rubber and the rubber is thicker on the belly which is better on the rox as they inevitably make contact wear through and the lead and hook implant falls out..

the sp's piuctured however seem to be storms whic are as week as p+*$.. but work fine until they come to pieces.

the tsunamis are also a couple of grams heavier ..

i'd be v surprised if the hook and lead implant were'nt exactly the same .

Edited by danielinbyron