Old Bar Entrance

legion

It's about that time of year when I'm constantly thinking about some sand flats fishing up at Old Bar. Would appreciate a note from Mick or some of the other locals as to the condition of the entrance.Is it open? How are the flats around Farquhar fishing? I also heard on the grapevine that the government had handed Farquhar Park camping ground back to the local tribe.Can I still pitch a tent out there? I mostly fish catch and release and only keep a smaller Flatty or two for dinner. Its more about the magic of the flats out there for me. Ive missed going up the last 2 years so I'm pretty keen to get up there this year. Thanks in advance for any info.

It's about that time of year when I'm constantly thinking about some sand flats fishing up at Old Bar. Would appreciate a note from Mick or some of the other locals as to the condition of the entrance.Is it open? How are the flats around Farquhar fishing? I also heard on the grapevine that the government had handed Farquhar Park camping ground back to the local tribe.Can I still pitch a tent out there? I mostly fish catch and release and only keep a smaller Flatty or two for dinner. Its more about the magic of the flats out there for me. Ive missed going up the last 2 years so I'm pretty keen to get up there this year. Thanks in advance for any info.

G`day Legion

Farquhar is still a fee camping area mate , I think That Handing back was a mischief , altough I will ask Lozza as soon as I see him , he is good mates with the rangers.

Farquhar is pretty Poor at the moment , so Poor in fact , that three local fisho`s spent 9 hours using yabbies and Lures , and the tally was a handfull of "just Legal whiting " , no flatties or anything else worthy of mention.

Perhaps its Just still a bit cold in the Goon , but I think you will be " Shocked " when you see just how far the Sand has backed up from the Entrance .

You can drive past Charlies Island now , and fish the fork that leads to Harington , it`s absolutely Hearbreaking to see the river choked like this .

I will take a pic next time we go for a run and post it here for you.

However , those in the know , are getting some nice flatties and Bream upstream , and most of us believe that Saltwater will soon begin to fire.

Mick

Thanks Mick. Looks like my best option will be to stay at Croki. That way I will be able to run down to Harrington/Manning Point and fish the flats down there or take the other arm down to Farquhar if things improve in the meantime. I'm disappointed to hear the sand has built up to that extent as I'd have to say that area is my all time favourite spot for sand flat fishing when the entrance is open and running free. It was magic being able to motor over to the entrance and fish it or walk over to the beach and pull a few worms then follow the tide up the estuary chasing those big lizards.

G`day Fellas ,

Legion , you can say that again , I too enjoyed wading the goon there and grabbing a feed of Lizards .

A chap that fishes with my Li`l fella camped at Farquhar for a week or so , and they did very poorly .

They could not snag a Jew off the beach the entire time they Camped , and Flatties and The Big Whiting that normaly woul be thick there at this time of year were rather scarce.

But It shouldall happen soon , but the water is still pretty cold for Mid November , the minute it warms up they should be on for young and Old .

Mick