Yellowfin Everywhere On The Weekend

Ross Hunter

Broadbill and Billfisher had a good time catching a swag of yellowfin tuna both days .Saturday was great with light nor east breezes. Sunday the nor easter got to 25 knots later in the afternoon but we had it up our tail so all was good on Broady..she just laps that stuff up.

Interestingly we fished 5 mile east of Browns before we found the temp break. Once found we trolled 15 fin between us on Bloodshots and minnows.

On Sunday naturally we headed to the same area I headed northward and at 10 miles past Browns that temp break could not be found 19.7 degrees and green all the way I decided to head further north adjacent to Long reef, we worked in 800 fathoms We angled back to the shelf and at 300 fathoms we found a pack of sperm whales. We trolled around these and whack, double hook up We caught one and the other fell off The temp had by now reached 21.7 degrees, we had found the break . We worked in 250 fathoms 32 nautical mile north of our home Botany Bay. Having found "the nest" we worked it hard and trolled yellowfin all afternoon, mostly on the bib less. We had to leave biting fish at 2.30 pm to negotiate the long haul home .

We caught a heap of fish ranging from 6kg to 18 kg. A good weekend was had by all.

Tip for Fishraiders If you see whales or sun fish it pays to troll over to them keeping a sensible distance of course, the school tuna follow them, a bit like cobia under the manta rays.

I will update our web site with photos and a better yarn later.

In answer to both questions Sperm whales are a toothed whale. they grow to 18 metres in length and they feed on squid . So if you were a young tuna and the massive cetaceans were diving to the depths catching squid and the fact that they do not have knifes or forks means that there would be a lot of excess waste as they tear at the food........mmm left overs for the yellowfin . Yummy :yahoo:

Regarding distance at sea I am off the old school were distance is measured in nautical mile and depth in fathoms IE 1.2 nm to a mile You can double that for kms......but don't do that,keep tradition alive and learn Nms and fathoms it's so much better..and it sounds so professional...To answer your question we were 60 kms out

Ross

mmmm, got me thinking, maybe someone should put a Yellowfin out in the hope they hook a Sperm Whale! I reckon nothing could go harder! or actually feel heavier!

In answer to both questions Sperm whales are a toothed whale. they grow to 18 metres in length and they feed on squid . So if you were a young tuna and the massive cetaceans were diving to the depths catching squid and the fact that they do not have knifes or forks means that there would be a lot of excess waste as they tear at the food........mmm left overs for the yellowfin . Yummy :yahoo:

Regarding distance at sea I am off the old school were distance is measured in nautical mile and depth in fathoms IE 1.2 nm to a mile You can double that for kms......but don't do that,keep tradition alive and learn Nms and fathoms it's so much better..and it sounds so professional...To answer your question we were 60 kms out

Ross

yeah right on ross these young wippersnapers need learn old school or are we just talking in code over the radio ! fathoms and nm all the way

AHRRR....PIRATES I LOVE 'EM I be of the old school..the era of pirates and treasure ....nautical miles, fathoms and plunder at sea

J. Buffet once wrote

Yes! I am a pirate, 200 years to late ...the cannons don't thunder..... there's nothin' to plunder

I'm an over 40 victim of fate ..Arriving' to late...... Arrivin' to late.

But I still love tradition ....nautical miles and fathoms....................yeh! :1prop:

Ahrr,

Me Father was the keeper of The Eddystone light...he married a mermaid one fine night ..from that union there came three ..two little fishes and the other was me ....singin' Yo Ho...Ho! the winds blow free Oh! for the life on the rollin' sea.

Ya gotta fathom that out in nautical terms.....love it! :tease::yahoo:

Yes! please do not go any closer than 150 metres or you will be breaking the law.......Do not let the dolphins ride in your bow wake or you will also be breaking the law......If the whales or dolphins visit your boat and rub themselves against it when we you are at rest, berlying, as they have done to mine on many occasions then are they breaking the law or am I?

Ring the National Parks and Wildlife and ask them..........are the tuna breaking the law?

We won't be able to fart shortly without a licence or breaking the law. :mad3:

Heres what happened one day at the Byron Bay Political Park when Minister Debus paid a visit (from the $%^&* site):

Debus was admiring the view from the Lighthouse, like a feudal lord, surveying his domain and peasants. He suddenly spied a pod of dolphins swimming towards a group of three kayakers. The kayakers had paddled to an area where birds were feeding on a school of bait. The dolphins joined the killing spree. The three kayakers watched the whole scenario in awe. People interacting with their environment!

Debus objected to the kayakers being too close to the dolphins. He ordered two NPWS employees, (he is their boss) to go immediately and “caution” the hapless kayakers. Dutifully, they borrowed the Marine Park Authority, small rubber duckie, went down to the boatramp, launched the vessel (without getting bogged this time.) They proceeded to try to locate and identify the three kayakers out of about 50 on the glassy Bay that morning.

The NPWS employees went hooning aound to Watego’s Beach. No kayakers! They went hooning back towards a group of kayakers that hadn’t been anywhere near the school of bait. The three kayakers concerned were shooting small waves at the Pass. They hooned back over to the Pass amid the surfers, and were roundly abused for their intrusion!

Meanwhile, on Watego’s Beach, in the middle of the day, were three tourists fishing off the beach, IN A GOVERNMENT SANCTUARY ZONE!!!!

The NPWS “hooners,” had passed them twice, being less than 50m offshore. These public servants, the FUN POLICE, either didn’t see them, or ignored them, and continued their high speed police pursuit, back to the Pass. Talk about the “Keystone Cops.” Locals are still laughing about it!

As I said before .It will not be long before you will have to go to a post office and get a license to fart ..We are so over regulated it's becoming a farce A good yarn thanks for that... I will post my letter to Marine Parks over "Approaching whales and dolphins".......Oh well back to the revolution