Kr Reef Ripper 70h

Guest Jewel

When I told Rohit that I was heading up to South West Rocks he asked if I wanted to take something heavy to try on the kings of Fish Rock. How could I say no!

I thought that he had the rod lying about the workshop....... I didnt realise that he was going to go crosseyed staying up all night building it!!

I picked it up on Friday afternoon in a Maccas carpark, we must have looked like right wallys waving a 24kg jig rod about!

When I got up there I strapped on a Torsa 30 tied on a 80lb leader and got the scales out. We were pretty surprised to see that you could get 12kg of pull without feeling too much pain at the rod (we wernt wearing a belt when tested!) Its a fairly long rod by todays standards for a jig rod, but this seems to work well in keeping it civil to use even for the lighter angler....... one of the lads involved in the drag setting is only about 70kg and he didnt have too much trouble hanging on even with the full 12kg coming off the bent rod!

post-654-1164019784_thumb.jpg

I unfortunately didnt get to bend this baby in anger due to the crappy weather we had, but I thought the least I could do was take a couple of pics. It really is a rather impressive looking bit of gear and feels like it has the performance to match!!

post-654-1164019854_thumb.jpg

If you are looking for a stump-puller this summer to save on embarrising wipeouts on big kings then this rod could be well worth looking at.

Thanks again Rohit for the lend and whipping this beast up so quick!

Edited by Jewel

Dont pick one up if you havnt got the $$$........... you will not want to put it down!!!!!!

Silky smooooooooooooooooooth and loads of torque, almost too good to stick in a rod holder to get sprayed with salty water.

:biggrin2:

I think I am beyond cross-eyed now mate, they have gone full circle and on lap two now. Thanks for taking the beast out for a test, pity you didn’t see much action but a lot of warm weather still to come. I can see that rod dragging a few beasties out this season. I have an order to build one of these in spin to suit a 10000 Stella. There are gonna be some very sore kings around by the end of this season.

Raiders this rod is rated to 30-50lb and builds into a serious offshore weapon. The seven foot length also makes it ideal for heavy duty popper work. On a decent fish the tip just folds away like a stroker and leaves you with a powerful short lever. The blank has an extra fast taper, graphite construction with wraps of glass in the tip section which greatly reinforces the load points. It can cop an extreme amount of punishment and yet is surprisingly light. The build that jewel is field testing is built with hardcore components. Heavy duty game frames which have the correct amount of flexibility to cope with jigging and frames finished in titanium nitride and rings in the hardest grade of aluminium oxide. The tip is a matching heavy duty unit with a massive flanged SiC ring. The reel seat and gimbal are machined alloy in matching gold. The grip is that leather look but totally resistant to anything that nature can dish up.

Kelvin you should give one of these a workout. Let me know your preferences and I will build a demo rod for you

I didn’t get a chance to take pics of the rod before I gave it to Jewel but here is a pic of the guides and tip used

post-1888-1164029472_thumb.jpg

Rohit, how much would it cost to buy? And what type of blank did you use. Sounds like a nice piece of work!

Mate I do this rod for $350. The blank is a 7' graphite butt composite tip custom job. It is different from the current trend of jig rods in that it has a very fast taper and behaves like a stroker on a decent fish

Mate that particular rod is a demo rod for Team KR to play with. If you are interested I could arrange for you to take it out for a session

Jewel you are right....unfortunately I picked up one of these Torsas....I had to buy it!!!! :biggrin2:

What a F%$#@!ing GREAT reel. :1yikes: Can't wait for the next hood to come along.

Now I need a ROD AS WELL....This is getting really expensive!

Saqa I need to demo this rod. WIll be fishing 50lb braid mainly for downrigging but for jigging and live baiting in general. I need a really tough lower grip as it sits in a rod holder when downrigging and when a kingie hits- it gets hammered in the rod holder. Most of my rods have deformed lower grips . Gimbal butts are OK but will need a cover as most times I don't use a belt.

How light is it? My 2 boys are only small and they love to catch kings as well. the SIC tip..is it tough? Had a few break on me but shimano t curves have been ok with the sic guides.

I like the fuji heavy duty graphite reel seats as they don't ding. I use my tackle a LOT and most metal reel seats scratch. I guess I go out for kings about 2-4 times a week the whole year so the gear must last the distance.

7 foot is excellent!! I find the new jig sticks are too short for my liking. Can't control the fish solo on a shorter stick. This rod sounds really good......when can I have it? Cheers Kelvin

Jewel you are right....unfortunately I picked up one of these Torsas....I had to buy it!!!! :biggrin2:

What a F%$#@!ing GREAT reel. :1yikes: Can't wait for the next hood to come along.

Now I need a ROD AS WELL....This is getting really expensive!

Saqa I need to demo this rod. WIll be fishing 50lb braid mainly for downrigging but for jigging and live baiting in general. I need a really tough lower grip as it sits in a rod holder when downrigging and when a kingie hits- it gets hammered in the rod holder. Most of my rods have deformed lower grips . Gimbal butts are OK but will need a cover as most times I don't use a belt.

How light is it? My 2 boys are only small and they love to catch kings as well. the SIC tip..is it tough? Had a few break on me but shimano t curves have been ok with the sic guides.

I like the fuji heavy duty graphite reel seats as they don't ding. I use my tackle a LOT and most metal reel seats scratch. I guess I go out for kings about 2-4 times a week the whole year so the gear must last the distance.

7 foot is excellent!! I find the new jig sticks are too short for my liking. Can't control the fish solo on a shorter stick. This rod sounds really good......when can I have it? Cheers Kelvin

Mate I'll see if I can prise it out of Jewel's hands. I think you will like the rear grip on this. It is similar to the material used over burried cables, bloody tough as you can get without going slickbutt. Has a cover for the gimbal. You wont find a tougher SiC tip then the one one this rod. Seat is full metal, on this one I went full hardcore but production rods rods I use a graphite seat with machined alloy hoods. Who knows this might just be the stick you are looking for. I'll get in touch with Jewel to see when he can drop it off and let you know

Mate I'll see if I can prise it out of Jewel's hands. I think you will like the rear grip on this. It is similar to the material used over burried cables, bloody tough as you can get without going slickbutt. Has a cover for the gimbal. You wont find a tougher SiC tip then the one one this rod. Seat is full metal, on this one I went full hardcore but production rods rods I use a graphite seat with machined alloy hoods. Who knows this might just be the stick you are looking for. I'll get in touch with Jewel to see when he can drop it off and let you know

Not in a hurry....got enough tackle to start a store myself!!! Just wipe off all of Jewels blood and slime before you give it to me so that I can put some new blood and slime on it. CHeers Kelvin

Im hoping to bend it in anger tomorrow!

I can get the rod back to Rohit this week or if we can work anything else out I may be able to drop it off.