Yakka's

Beach Fisho

Hi,

We have had trouble finding yakkas in middle harbour, we spent over an hour search for yakkas on the weekend and wasted the best part of the tide :( , if anyone has a reliable spot do you mind PM me?

With all you guys catching Kingies, it's about time i popped my cherry!!

Thanks allot, Beach Fisho

You can get yakkas even at the pontoon at Roseville ramp. Just burley and you'll have bream, yakkas and mullet all around. The spit bridge is also good, middle head, Balmoral island north head. I find heaps of yakkas around moorings just sounding around. Just be careful as sometimes the kings will hit your yakkas as you pull them into the boat! CHeers Kelvin

I got a half dozen Yakkas at the Wedding Cakes today in as many minutes.

I thought I would head up to Quarintine and north head and drop a few out. In the time it took me to get to north head they were all lifeless in a 20Ltr bucket :1badmood:

Has any one else had this problem?

Kelvin, Are the yakkas as good as squid in MH?

Cheers.

Robbie.

I got a half dozen Yakkas at the Wedding Cakes today in as many minutes.

I thought I would head up to Quarintine and north head and drop a few out. In the time it took me to get to north head they were all lifeless in a 20Ltr bucket :1badmood:

Has any one else had this problem?

Kelvin, Are the yakkas as good as squid in MH?

Cheers.

Robbie.

What did you use to burley them up? If you used bread then the yakkas kark it quick unless you have a constant running supply of water. They just bloat on the bread and if they can't expell it they die. Having a constant stream of running water will keep them going until they expell the bread.

NO way are yakkas as effective as squid. Most of the kingies I catch have fish in them. Everything from whiting, silver biddies and of course yakkas. But these fish are rather spiky and I think the kings want a softer bait like squid , garfish and slimies. Squid is the "gourmet" meal and yakkas are take away. Cheers Kelvin

What did you use to burley them up? If you used bread then the yakkas kark it quick unless you have a constant running supply of water. They just bloat on the bread and if they can't expell it they die. Having a constant stream of running water will keep them going until they expell the bread.

NO way are yakkas as effective as squid. Most of the kingies I catch have fish in them. Everything from whiting, silver biddies and of course yakkas. But these fish are rather spiky and I think the kings want a softer bait like squid , garfish and slimies. Squid is the "gourmet" meal and yakkas are take away. Cheers Kelvin

No, no bread a branded berly sausage from the local tackel store.. It worked a treat though.

Also when I had a few in the bucket I chucked one out as live bait, but this seemed to put the Yakkas off the bite until I brought him back in. Is that commen?

Thanks for letting me pick your brain..

Cheers.

Robbie.

You'll find yakkas can be really easily spooked. Just watch them when you pull one in They don't follow a hooked fish to the boat. Unlike kings these things are at the bottom of the food chain and everything eats them. So you can imagine how nervous these guys are! Their only protection is to stay in schools. I NEVER put out a live yakka when I am trying to catch these buggers. Scares the SH^%T out of them. By the way even the presence of squid scares them. Cheers Kelvin

Great info guys, thanks heaps.

I'll get out on the weekend and try these spots out.

Robbielites, I use a portable airater which runs on batteries, very cheap @ $18. I find them very good, keeps my pink nippers alive for a few days, not yet sure how it will work for Yakkas, i hope now i will fill the bucket and see how they go.

Thanks again. BJ