Sydney 24th Nov

ko76

Headed out 5am this morning and over to Balmoral to get some squid. It was a bit windy this morning and only managed to boat one squid. Lost another at the boat that was barely hooked. The other squid that I did see were tiny and wouldnt attack the jig. Tried a few other spots around but couldnt manage any more over the next 2and a half hours.

As you could imagine Id had enough of jigging for squid so went over to North head and anchored up for a few 'just under legal' snappper that were returned. Followed this up by trolling a bibbed minnow and a popper around north head for zilch.

Finally, headed back to middle harbour with my one and only squid. Dropped it on the downrigger and trolled around the morings. After a while the rod buckles down and Im on to a 62cm King. Hoped it would have been bigger after reading Kelvins reports but at least the first one for me this summer and the first for my new downrigger. Either way it made for some great sushi! Sorry no pics, didnt bring the camera.

One thing to add:

When I brought it on board it spewed out a gob full of tiny fry. Found it interesting that they would bother feeding on such small tucker. Would take millions of these miniature bait fish to keep them fed!

I tell you what , that strike on a downrigger is something else isnt it. There is nothing like it!!! I normally use 1/2 - 3/4 strike drag on my reels when they are in the rod holder as I don't want to damage the rod or the holder and when that reel screams it is enough to wake up the dead!

Great catch.By the way it is common to see kingies cough up small bait. When there are lots of it, they feed on it freely. Often the kingies are chasing these small bait fish on the surface and when they are in this mood, they will not take ANYTHING>>>perhaps I may have to use the deadly penguin prawn technique next time for these. Cheers Kelvin

I tell you what , that strike on a downrigger is something else isnt it. There is nothing like it!!! I normally use 1/2 - 3/4 strike drag on my reels when they are in the rod holder as I don't want to damage the rod or the holder and when that reel screams it is enough to wake up the dead!

Great catch.By the way it is common to see kingies cough up small bait. When there are lots of it, they feed on it freely. Often the kingies are chasing these small bait fish on the surface and when they are in this mood, they will not take ANYTHING>>>perhaps I may have to use the deadly penguin prawn technique next time for these. Cheers Kelvin

Got me curious.... whats "the deadly Penguin prawn technique".

As for the screaming drag.....unfortunatly that didnt happen. I wasnt having much luck using the downrigger clip with 30lb braid in it so I used the old elastic band thin size #12. Even this +60cm didnt break the elastic band. I just noticed the rod buckle down. I pulled up the downrigger bomb, released the line and started to wind in, thats when the Kingie started to kick up a stink and fight like a Kingie normally does. Ive never had a Kingie behave like that before, almost like it took the squid and then was happy to cruise around with the downtrigger. :wacko:

I check the Kingies stomach contents and it did have a bit of the small fry baitfish in its stomach aswell and part of my squid(i think). It would appear that the Kings eat like the Salmon school do sometimes. They gulp at the surface of the water and eat microscopic fish. I suppose they burn up alot less energy gulping mouthfulls of bait fry father than chasing down a zippy yakka or slimie.

Well done mate hopefully many more fish to come over summer, what sort of downrigger you got mate??

Cannon mini-troll with a 3lb or 6lb bomb and i generally troll around at idle speed of around 2knots. Didnt see the point of buying a larger and more expensive one when i havent used them before and cant see myself using it in water deeper than 30m. Works fine for me just need to get out there more often!!