Windy, Wet And Stupid

Guest johblow

Guest johblow

Gday all. Well, i took some friends out today - their first time in a boat in Oz, and i must say i did my best to turn them off boating!!! Hahaha. They are keen fishos, and we've done well with a Narra session in the past, but today was rather ordinary, and we also had an almost major boating miss-hap to cap it off.

Before i get to the misshap, we caught just a few, after pumping some yabbies, from my new favourite spot near Cottage Point (PM me and ill tell you where). Easy to get too and they are a nice size, and RED mostly. Nice!

Well, i was determined to go out today after the last time i had a trip teed up with these guys, i missplaced my boat keys, and we were forced to make other plans... doh! But, one snag. I couldnt find the bung... No problems, i have been on a buying spree, as i am in the purchasing stages of my boats 'extreme makeover' which will happen during Xmas hols, and i had two new bung assemblies. Damn it, neither fit! And i didnt have time to replace the whole thing.

So bloody genius me gets some inspiration from a spud gun, and decides that a small coliban potato will do the job nicely. And, just in case, ill take a spare. Well, it did for about 6 hours, until we mored at Cottage Point shop for a bite. One of my friends raised the alarm while i was busy admiring those bloody big bream that hang out underneath the shop. I got down to the boat, and the boat has taken on some serious water.

Man, time for the backup potato. Well, carved it out a bit, and shoved it in, and it did the job just in time. Then some heavy duty bailing commenced, and we got most of the water out of the boat. Then, potato number to throws in the towel! By this time i was wishing that i has used carrots. That would have been better, surely?... Anyhow, in a moment of panic, i grab the key float, rip it off the key and jam it in the bung.

By this time it was absolutely pissing with rain, and so we headed back to ATB, where we kissed the sodden ground. The key float held up well.

So, i can tell you that i wont be going out in the boat until i a) find my old bung (dont like my chances) or B) install a new bung assembly. And finally, if you are ever tempted to improvise with your bung, DONT!!!! :1yikes: ... but if you must, use a carrot.

Surely there is nobody out there with a story as dumb as this one? This is almost darwin award material...

Guest johblow

Hahahaha. Yeah, or how about: "Worst Potato Accident Since Irish Famine"...?

Well, its all good now - as below. No more improvising with organic bungs for me...!

post-46-1165124297_thumb.jpg

:074:

That is a classic, comedy capers. All's well that ends well, at least you didn't add another wreck to the waterways and you got your boat back for another day. Nothing like having to think on the spot, well done.

Edited by 445F

Guest johblow

Thanks :-) it wasn't funny at the time, but looking back, it was a hilarious. It should go down well at work tomorrow... My missus threatened to buy me a pair of floaties after i told her the story. Very sensitive! hahaha. Anyhow, you live and learn.