Slow Trolling Yakka's.

costello

G'day Raiders.

Just got my new rig and will be heading out Middle Harbour tomorrow. Barring any squid i manage to grab i'll mainly be slow trolling live Yakka's. Any tips on the best method, weight and hook up. Don't want them to be spinning out of control wasting my times. I'll probably be using 8/0, 7/0 live bait hooks. Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

G'day Raiders.

Just got my new rig and will be heading out Middle Harbour tomorrow. Barring any squid i manage to grab i'll mainly be slow trolling live Yakka's. Any tips on the best method, weight and hook up. Don't want them to be spinning out of control wasting my times. I'll probably be using 8/0, 7/0 live bait hooks. Any info would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

hey costa

funny enough, you might want to anchor up and place some live yakas at clifton gardens. On saturday we got hammered to land 3 monster kingies on live yakkas. For some reason they didnt touch the live squid till very late in the arvo. Get as close to the white drum marker near the naval waters.

hopes this helps

kilp

hey costa

funny enough, you might want to anchor up and place some live yakas at clifton gardens. On saturday we got hammered to land 3 monster kingies on live yakkas. For some reason they didnt touch the live squid till very late in the arvo. Get as close to the white drum marker near the naval waters.

hopes this helps

kilp

Cheers Kilp, appreciate the tip. Will definately give that a go, might save me a buck on fuel too.

Mark

I assume you are going for YTK ?

Rubberband through the eye socket or nose bridge & attach the hook to that, would be my first choice.

How do you attach the hook to a rubber band Heath?

hey costa

hopes this helps

kilp

Or as Penguin would use....prawns.The deadly penguin prawn technique :thumbup:

Best yakka rig for kings is to use a cable tie. Rubber bands are too weak and the kings just nip the fish off the hook. You can also use a bridle rig with some cotton/dacron but it is too much fuss. I just get a cable tie, pass it through the eye socket of the yakka and form a loop. You then put your hook into the loop in the cable tie and tighten. Trim off the tag end and you are in.

I like to use a double hook rig and also pin a hook near the tail. Use a cable tie also.

If haven't got cable ties just pin the yakka in the nose into the hard cartiledge. I now use a double hook rig for yakkas and pin a hook near the tail as well. Normally the kings hook up on the tail hook. cheers and good luck.Kelvin

Tie the rubber band by pulling band over hook and thru it(at the gape end) twisting it on the hook, get a long needle and push thru the eyes of the fish, attach the band to the needle and pull back thru where you went in the rubber band will now be thru the fishes eyes, loop the band on the hook and twist it off to finish.

It is hard to explain to someone how to do this, being shown in person is MUCH easier.

Or as Penguin would use....prawns.The deadly penguin prawn technique :thumbup:

Best yakka rig for kings is to use a cable tie. Rubber bands are too weak and the kings just nip the fish off the hook. You can also use a bridle rig with some cotton/dacron but it is too much fuss. I just get a cable tie, pass it through the eye socket of the yakka and form a loop. You then put your hook into the loop in the cable tie and tighten. Trim off the tag end and you are in.

I like to use a double hook rig and also pin a hook near the tail. Use a cable tie also.

If haven't got cable ties just pin the yakka in the nose into the hard cartiledge. I now use a double hook rig for yakkas and pin a hook near the tail as well. Normally the kings hook up on the tail hook. cheers and good luck.Kelvin

I was going to go with the double hook set up but i was wondering if the second hook should be a runner aloud to run between the main hook and the start of the leader where it meets the braid, or if i should attach a three way swivel and attach the second hook off a seperate line??

Cheers,

Mark

I was going to go with the double hook set up but i was wondering if the second hook should be a runner aloud to run between the main hook and the start of the leader where it meets the braid, or if i should attach a three way swivel and attach the second hook off a seperate line??

Cheers,

Mark

Hey Mark I use a sliding snell to do the job. I have a photo of it in one of my recent reports but works great for me! If in doubt use a single!!!!!CHeers Kelvin

sliding snell with the hook near the tail of the yakka :thumbup:

ive JUST learned today how to tie the sliding snell pete le blang style :yahoo:

woo hoo go me.. finally got it kelvin :thumbup:

as to the cable tie i recommend that as ive seen it used yesterday for the 1st time and it keeps the

livie alive foe ages and the stay very fresh and its very reliable

so cable tie all the way :thumbup:

cheers stevo

I find placing the 1st hook thru their nose as on a Yakka this area is hard and have never had one come off or die. I also run another sliding hook with alot of alsck and pin him just at the top of the tail. WOrks a treat for me.

Cheers,

Spic

We had a go slow trolling some yakkas around Pittwater last weekend but only got about twenty minutes into it before the southerly came up and we had to scoot back across Broken Bay and into Brisbane Water. Don't reckon we were in the right spot (we trolled the Soldiers Point headland and moorings in Coasters Retreat) but we're pretty new to kingy fishing so we're still exploring at this point.

I was wondering though, what trolling speed we should use? We trolled at about 3 knots and didn't have any takes, although we really weren't there for long. I wanted to go faster to cover more ground but wasn't sure whether this would be a waste of time.

Still haven't caught a kingy yet - although can't be far off now!!