New Years Eve Sydney Harbour

dowgy

Hi all

I have only recently joined, I a Central Coast local who in between commuting to Sydney during the week, playing the odd game of golf and spending time with my two todllers likes to get out occassionally in our boat and even sometimes throw a line (yes my results leave alot to be desired). Accordingly, hoping to pick up a few tips from you more experienced anglers!

Anyway, I'm remotely considering that it would be nice to spend the night on Sydney Harbour to watch the fireworks, however with only a year or two's boating experience under my belt I'd like to know if anyone else has any first hand experience on:

* How busy does it actually get - do you spend the whole night stressed you're going to pull anchor or collide into someone?

* Any problems anchoring for the night (I have a 6m Whittley)? Sand anchor OK in most of the harbour?

* Any suggestions on where might be best to anchor

* Any suggestions on best spots to refuel in the Harbour (I'm pretty sure the 110litre tank would get me there and back however would like an option just in case - otherwise may just take a 20lt jerry can)

I also have the problem (big problem( that you have to remain under the legal limit as skipper.

Many thanks

Leroy

Hi all

I have only recently joined, I a Central Coast local who in between commuting to Sydney during the week, playing the odd game of golf and spending time with my two todllers likes to get out occassionally in our boat and even sometimes throw a line (yes my results leave alot to be desired). Accordingly, hoping to pick up a few tips from you more experienced anglers!

Anyway, I'm remotely considering that it would be nice to spend the night on Sydney Harbour to watch the fireworks, however with only a year or two's boating experience under my belt I'd like to know if anyone else has any first hand experience on:

* How busy does it actually get - do you spend the whole night stressed you're going to pull anchor or collide into someone?

* Any problems anchoring for the night (I have a 6m Whittley)? Sand anchor OK in most of the harbour?

* Any suggestions on where might be best to anchor

* Any suggestions on best spots to refuel in the Harbour (I'm pretty sure the 110litre tank would get me there and back however would like an option just in case - otherwise may just take a 20lt jerry can)

I also have the problem (big problem( that you have to remain under the legal limit as skipper.

Many thanks

Leroy

Hi Leroy,

A few answers for you.

Yes it does get busy very busy, but it is all in the planning. we usually aim to be on anchor by 1800 earlier is better. You will be suprised by the last minute rush.

We also usually leave anchor at about 0200 to avoid traffic on the water we then go for a cruise till much later and enjoy the sunrise.

We anchor just east of Kirribilly house for a good veiw.

Sand anchor is fine, but remember there will be lots of traffic pushing you about so lots of heavy chain is good.

Anchoring for the night is not an issue as long as you are in a safe spot well out of the main channel.

Go the Jerry can fuel is well over priced on the harbour.

Cheers.

Robbie.

• 2 weeks later...

hey there,

i went out on the harbour last year in my boat to see the fireworks and il be out there again this year but be carefull i dont think u should use any of the ramps near the harbour as i did last year i used the canada bay ramp and even that we got back to the ramp a 2am we didnt get the boat on till 4.30am.so this year il be putting it in at silverwater and the harbour gets totally shock a block full exp just after the fireworks .

are there earlier fire works for the kiddies at 8pm this year

might just go for that !!!!!!

do you think its to stupid to go in a 4.2m boat

G'day Caine, The kiddies fireworks this year are at 9pm. At 10pm and 11pm, there are mini light shows revealing the bridge "effect", then at midnight...the big kahuna. :1clap::action-smiley-031:

A 4.2 should be OK as long as you are there early and avoid the bigger craft. Try and find a secluded spot.

Probably impossible with the traffic that's expected..

Cheers,

Pete

Edited by MallacootaPete

As I mentioned in an earlier post , with so many boats in the Harbour itself , Im hoping Botany Bay will be not so crowded. Im not that worried about seeing the bridge , but from the Bay you can see the city skyline , and all the fireworks. Just hope the winds stay away !!

Any takers?

Ross

hey guys

i went a couple of days b4 chrissy and it was heaps busy. chop desnt worry me but ramp rage does

so im going to brisbane waters.... there is a decent fire works display on the gosford water front 9pm

im putting in at brooklyn in the arvo fishing the sunset and going over just north of patonga at 730ish

the tides are good 2

:thumbup: