Narrabeen Lake To Be Opened Today

mrmoshe

Good news folks.

Narrabeen Lagoon entrance will be mechanically opened later today.

The work to open it will start after the high tide at 1pm and take about 6 hours.

Since September, 40,000 cu metres of sand has been removed and dumped on Collaroy Beach.

This latest opening should really improve the fishing in the lake from now on.

I only hope it stays open longer than it has in the past.

They have now taken out the "S" bend that was on the eastern side of Ocean St. bridge so there is a

straight flow out to sea, which should keep the entrance open longer.

The flats by the caravan park are still there, just a little deeper than before, so the flatties should still

be abundant.

Guess where I will be for the next week?

Cheers,

Pete.

It will silt up again in no time at all. I hope that everyone doesn't go down the entrance and net the fish as they wash out. I saw it happen at Tabourie Lake about 5 years ago.

davo

The high tide today was at 9:45am. I hope the council haven't buggered up the tides.

If they have, we might have a new FAD off Narra Beach being the mechanical digger.

I might pop down soon and take a look to see the progress. I'll take my camera down and bang off a few shots and post them here.

Last time they opened it up...there were fish lined up at the mouth waiting for the breakout to sea.

Might have to take my rod as well.

Pete.

Just went down for a look. It is now open, but only just.

The opening is about the same width as last time, approx. 15 metres wide.

They haven't taken the northern side dune out at all...perhaps they think the outflowing water will

eventually erode this away, leaving a wider mouth.

The water was rushing out at a rapid rate. A few fishos were already on hand but not catching any at all.

Here are some pics of the new opening:

Pete.

post-1685-1165383968_thumb.jpg

post-1685-1165383985_thumb.jpg

post-1685-1165384009_thumb.jpg

post-1685-1165384022_thumb.jpg

post-1685-1165384032_thumb.jpg

Here is the other side of Ocean St bridge, in front of the caravan park

post-1685-1165384127_thumb.jpg

I just hope they have done enough this time to keep it open for an extended period.

post-1685-1165384605_thumb.jpg

post-1685-1165384184_thumb.jpg

Edited by MallacootaPete

Will do Steve...Did you notice on that last pic that some enterprising dude has set 3, I presume, crab traps just past the bridge where the water is flowing past.

They look like brand new bouys, only put there today.

post-1685-1165386544_thumb.jpg

Pete

Dont know much about the lake.

How long has it been closed?

Is it only a one off closure or is it a cycle that has been going on for ever?

G'day Dave, the lake was last opened this past July but only remained open for a short time then.

This time, they have dredged a shi*load of sand out near the entrance, which happens I think once every 3 years. The sand was dumped on Collaroy Beach where it will eventually find it's way back in the lagoon.

It is a naturally closing lagoon, so it silts up regularly.

It has been a contentious issue with greenies calling for it to be left to close naturally, but the risk of flooding to properties close to the shorline has made the councils (Warringah & Pittwater) do something to mitigate the flooding issue, or risk the flooded residents sueing their butts off if they don't act.

The lake really gets stagnant quickly when it is closed for long periods, probably due to the fact that more and more built up areas fringe the lake and runoff contributes to it's becoming stagnant.

This latest opening is supposed to keep it tidal for a longer period and the fishing sure fires when the lake is open to the tides.

There was a call for larger areas of the lake to be dredged, but I think prohibitive costs killed that idea quickly, plus the greenies objected to that as well, saying it would damage the natural sea grasses that are abundant throughout the lake.

Let's hope it stays open for the rest of the summer at least. I for one will be chasing the flatties and bream for the rest of the summer season.

Cheers,

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

Might have to drag some of the Port hacking poddies up there and test it out.

Nah Dave..there are loads of poddies in the lake. You can get them just about everywhere in the lake at the moment. Just bring your gear and you're off.

Pete.

Would the tides effect the lake much?

Saturday mornings tide doesn't look much good for out in Botany Bay I might head north for an early

No, the tidal effect inside the lake is minimal. it would only vary by about 30cm from high to low when it's open.

But it really does make a difference to the fishing.

Pete.

Thanks for the picture Pete, certainly looks like the lake is draining well.

Can you confirm whether it is possible to walk across the opening?

Look forward to hearing about your fishing in the coming days/weeks, to see if it picks up rapidly.

Does this mean you have to change your fishing tactics at your secret spot?

Thanks for the picture Pete, certainly looks like the lake is draining well.

Can you confirm whether it is possible to walk across the opening?

Look forward to hearing about your fishing in the coming days/weeks, to see if it picks up rapidly.

Does this mean you have to change your fishing tactics at your secret spot?

yes, you can walk across the entrance. The opening is on a rock bed and is very stable. The water rushing out might make it a bit tricky...probably best to cross it at slack tide.

I went down today for a session. Started near the entrance using the old faithful whitebait as well as live nippers.

All I got was 6 underweight bream though. After that, I went around to my secret spot and managed another 8 barely legal bream..no flatties wanted to play today.

I got to talking to a local resident near the mouth and he told me there were 15 or so fishos fishing the entrance last night, when the Fisheries Inspectors swooped. They fined more than half of them for not having licences. :thumbup: Odd though..they let them keep on fishing after they issued the fines..Isn't that a little strange?

Great to see the Fisheries policing the area. It might also stop the idiots who take small bream for fishcakes.

The lake level was down today by about 10cm as it was still a run out tide. I can't see much water coming back in the lake until the seas pick up a bit though. You can see the level of the lake is far greater than the sea level just by standing near the entrance.

Going to hit the lake more often in the future.

Cheers,

Pete.

im glad its open - im determined to get some prawns out of the lake this Xmas!!!!

Better off trying Long Reef lagoon for prawns on the next dark. You may end up chasing one prawn round narrabeen lake for hours.