North Coast Spotties

Ewan

Went out with a freind Daz today early only too wait around a few hours due to a big low tide and a bumpy surf on the Brunswick bar. Made it out for hi tide and trolled around pink squid as the water was 24 degrees and nice n blue and clear looking and we were thinking mackrel... not a touch.

The local reef was devoid of bait so we headed out to a spot we have called "mirrors" which is an odd spot as there is not really any structure and has a sandy bottom but has held massive amounts of bait in the last few trips. Got livies, good sized slimeys and yakkas and started unweighted live baiting. Didnt take long before my slimey got belted by something which took off then just after I struck just bit through 60lb jinkai leader clean.

Switched to a thin wire trace and put another slimey. Daz already with wire got a speedy hit and number 1 spotty mackrel for the season was boated. I havent seen too many spotties come fresh out of the water and I was impressed with its dark gleaming shaped and speed and teeth!

daz.jpg Daz hooks up to the first spotty of the season.

We ended up with four all up, all about 5kg and dropped a few as well. I was totally green for most of the day a combination of a greasy takeout squid dinner the night before and a rocken south easterly sea. Plenty of Mack Tuna about as well, they seem to be in plague proportions and all aroung 8-10kg, solid and heavy fish to catch and really becoming a frustration and a bore to catch them one after another.

Anyway - I was super happy to catch my first spotty ever - bodes well for a good Nth Coast mackrel season.

spotty.jpg

Bruns river and boat ramp spot on:

1st-spotty.jpg

Edited by Ewan

Very nice haul there Ewan. Must have been fun latching onto them today.

The swell must have been something else out there too...glad you didn't hurly burley too much.

Bodes well for the rest of summer having spotted macs around this early.

You should enter them into the fish of the month comp.

Nice report too.

Cheers,

Pete.

Edited by MallacootaPete

Guest danielinbyron

Kepp it coming, fellas! :thumbup::yahoo: I love to see the North Coast action! Mackerel are great fish...

Flattieman.

danielinbyron

Today, 12:58 PM

Post #7

Tryin hard to indoctrinate DAZ into the fold ...He's an enthisastic campaigner..

Attached thumbnail(s)

--------------------

post-1693-1165715923_thumb.jpg

Edited by danielinbyron