Bass In The Nepean

blayne

Gday,

First timer on Fishraider.

Im planning on putting my boat in the water at the Mulgoa Boat ramp and heading upstream for some bass.

Anyone been up there this season? What are the preferred lures and techniques at the moment?

Cheers,

Blayne

Gday swordfisherman,

Thanks for the welcome and the reply mate!

I was thinking of heading down to the Warragamba Weir, ive heard thats a good spot in the right conditions, but the source that told me it was a good spot down there has been wrong in the past. (maybe trying to keep his secrets from me.)

The Penrith Gorge is South of the Great Western Highway bridge isnt it? How far from the boat ramp as I only have an 8hp engine at the moment, so the closer the better!

Thanks for the replies!

Blayne

Hi Blayne,

If you don't want to go too far from the ramp with the 8hp, you could try under the Victoria Bridge - down near the rowing club. There are masses of weed beds about 1 - 2 feet just below the surface as well as some very nice overhanging trees. Right under the bridge is good too. The bass hang there waiting for food to drop in on them!!

Surface lures go great over the weed beds - anything in black will work a treat. Kokoda Bats are my fav but really anything black with a good rattle.

In the other direction, up towards the narrows before you get into the gorge, there's plenty of good territory to suss out. Again, black surface lures cast into the shadows of the overhanging trees or over the weed beds is the go.

Anywhere along the bank where the trees overhang is worth a cast. If the bass don't play, try another tree! :biggrin2:

Hope you get into them. Look forward to a report and some pics... :biggrin2:

Cheers

David.

Edited by mottyman

Gday Dave,

Yeah no worries mate, glad to lend a hand.

Yeah I wanted to go this weekend but I got 2 chrissy parties, so no go.

Im thinking maybe during the week next week or maybe next weekend.

I reckon go for an early one before the sun comes up and fish till 10 or 11am?

When I fish for trout in summer, dusk is when I get stuck into the big stuff. Anytime before that and they stay deep, out of the sun, and wait.

Bass the same?

Cheers,

Blayne :beersmile:

Edited by blayne

Hey Blayne

The gorge is just past the narrows, about a k upstream from the ramp, i've been up there a fair bit this year and caught planty of small/medium sized bass on river2sea black cicada lures. Can any raiders suggest some sp/jig head combinations i could try?

gday mick,

i see your from greystanes aswell mate.

well i have just got a new humminbird fish finder and im all geared up to take the boat out. just gotta wait till christmas is over!

thanks for the tips with the lures and locations, appreciate it alot because otherwise id be pretty much taking a stab in the dark. i will definetly try the gorge.

another question, i have 6lb berkley fluorocarbon line on my spinning reel at the moment, do you think this will be suitable for bass fishing?, i use this reel+line for trout and the line was pretty good last time i used it, got a brown just over 1.3kg with it.

gday mick,

i see your from greystanes aswell mate.

well i have just got a new humminbird fish finder and im all geared up to take the boat out. just gotta wait till christmas is over!

thanks for the tips with the lures and locations, appreciate it alot because otherwise id be pretty much taking a stab in the dark. i will definetly try the gorge.

another question, i have 6lb berkley fluorocarbon line on my spinning reel at the moment, do you think this will be suitable for bass fishing?, i use this reel+line for trout and the line was pretty good last time i used it, got a brown just over 1.3kg with it.

that should be fine, I have 4lb mono line and 8lb leader, the light line will help you cast the light lures good distance